Weddle grab

It’s not that at all, That is you, and your natural pull to feel troubled by things. You can intelligently use any word if it has a legitimate meaning confidently if you choose to and have no comeback on it.

Chink Chink is so clearly named after the sound and so to me it has absolutely no connotations at all.

3 Likes

Are you Chinese?

1 Like

No but it’s literally onomatopoea.

If a magician says POOF when he makes something disappear I don’t think he’s a homophobe.

3 Likes

It’s my “natural pull” to not write anything that’s going to offend a group of people based on who they are as humans.

Bloody lefty

1 Like

What has that got to do with it? Yes, we do have to all do our best to stamp out racism even if we are not on the recieving end of the slurs but we also don’t have to constntly ride in on white horses on peoples behalf. The people that are eligible to take the offense are intelligent enough to judge it themselves.
I am talking with Chink Chink in mind though mainly, there are other scenarios where I may think differently on the subject.

Even if the words have legitimate meaning in a context you may need to use?
That’s a little silly, making a point of not using something is as bad as using something for the incorrect meaning, you might as well hand out a “am I doing well?” questionaire after you compliment someone on their “nice double truck noise stall” on the miniramp platform.

If you’re not allowed to say chink chink you’re also not allowed to say flip.

Can’t say it’s a common enough trick for this to actually be an issue to anyone in any possible way though.

1 Like

And the fact the context has no derogatory intention only the meaning that is infinitely more clear.

What is a chink chink grind? I thought it was a bs 50 on transition (aka a stand up grind). Is it not that then?

Well yeah exactly. How bout everyone just uses their common sense?

Is Ching Ching acceptable? Maybe not.

My Mrs is Lithuanian and there are some Lithuanian words that sound quite similar to other words in English that aren’t so nice. I try to speak Lithuanian sometimes as it’s cool to learn words. Know what I do? If there’s anyone around that might hear me the wrong way, I just don’t say it. If there aren’t, no big deal, it’s not actually a bad word. So who cares

It has to be on transition right? Like come up fakie and pop into a fakie nose? That’s what I always thought it was. They’re fun

Notice my usage of the unshortened “transition” there

Because the intention is not to be not nice, the intention is to describe the noise of the trick.
I get it, I really do but I really think that a Chinese person can see the intended context, we’re not talking about a sub species that need protecting. A race of person is home to all levels of intelligence, like any other, some are mind bogglingly clever and some are thick as shit, we can’t protect them all, regardless of their race history.
But, i’m not saying this as a typical “it’s political correctness gone too bloody far” type neandethal, i’m saying it because things don’t need to be taken too far the other way to the point we damage things that don’t need to be.
The trick is meaningless, if Deiter said, ok, change it, I don’t care, I wouldn’t be fussed. I’m just worried about how far things could possibly be taken in order to show our inclusivety. Our intentions and our use of context and meaning should be the things that change, not the words themselves. The original meanings still have place in our languages.

Yeah we agree. I’m not insisting I just find this thread kinda funny ha. Peak 2020 internet

The N word does not have any other meaning though, it’s not a fair comparison.
I can’t actually think of a time where I have used the word Chink Chink grind in conversation, I may have but it does not matter.
And I agree, Chink used in a derogatory way is awful and should never be used.

1 Like

Maybe if there’s any confusion about the trick meaning then it’s not a good thing.

Perhaps being white and not really taking offence to anything means that I just won’t get it.

Or at least struggle to see the issue.

4 Likes

Yeah, but are you doing a survey around Chinese skaters asking them if they are offended by it, given the details of the trick and letting them decide between whether the racial slur is even applicable? No, so we just have to trust that people can se the intended definition and see past it.
Yes, it’s easy for me to say this in my priviledged position but I am optimistic in the level of intelligence of anyone to be able to seperate things in their minds.

Or maybe being white and looking into things too far and not giving others enough credit to make up their own minds. It’s a white priviledge in itself.

1 Like