Weddle grab

To be fair, I always call my female dog a “female dog” as I find the word “bitch” pretty awkward. 99% of the time I hear that word, it’s used as a derogatory term. I haven’t heard anyone use the word chink as a derogatory term for years. I’m sure that would be different if I was Chinese.

Totally agree, I’m the same. I’m sat next to a guy that still says he “had a Chinky last night” etc, with no intention of being racist either and everytime I tell he has to pack that shit in. We have discussions about it all the time, especially with a bloke next door who is “mixed race” who does not know who he is. The village I live in is a perfect example of institutionalised racism. I see and hear it every day. It makes me cringe. Most people don’t have things like skateboarding which can make people see so many different sides of things, so being on a forum like this can teach you so much, without realising it. I have grown loads. I’m sure I, like many of us have typed “gay” as a negative word on here many times.

1 Like

Thing is, you know their intended use of the word, you’re right to even be offended on behalf on others in that way.

Clink clink. There you are. Close to what it was, unless some prisoners get offended by using a slang word that also refers to prisons.

Or dink dink, clunk clunk, kadink, etc.

1 Like

Percentage of skaters that would say it vs number of racist types who would use it?

Might go someway to explaining why it is more commonly heard in its racist context.

When I was a kid a guy on my dad’s football team got a super dark tan on holiday.

His nickname from then on was the n word.

Shouted at top volume all the time on and no one (including me because I was just a little kid) blinking an eye.

I can still picture the coach and my dad shouting at top volume ‘n…r…man on man on’.

Fucking mad. No one even twigging how wrong it was.

Yeah, any are fine. My point wasn’t neccessarily defending the word usage, more trying to point out that people of any privilege being offended on behalf of others when it’s not necessary to is an issue in itself. But it’s complicated because there are probably more than not, scenarios where this is the right feeling to have.

We’re all of an age to have seen it, it’s rife, through the veins of the country.
In a weird way, and not to take the blame off the individual like with the recycling argument earlier, it’s almost as if people need a respected person/organisation that they can relate to really school the normal folk, because they won’t change, does not matter how conscious everyone else is, we can’t do the work on a small scale, there needs to be some intevention on a grand scale.
I know it is already happening in sport/football and it’s not always working, falling on deaf ears.

It’s always struck me as pointless hill for someone to want to die on this. Even where I don’t have a deep understanding of someone else’s point of view if they or someone else on their behalf suggests that a word might be offensive then I’d sooner just stop using it than risk offending someone. People go on like it’s the thin end of the wedge and if they let it pass once then their entire vocabulary is going to end up getting cancelled or something but it’s not really.

2 Likes

Yes, popping into it is key, otherwise it’s just a fakie nosegrind/switch frontside grind.

Have we ousted gay and les twists from the lexicon yet?

Those came up a while back.

Maybe my whole username should be cancelled. Shit.

Unless you make it clear that you are ‘the_zeppelin’ and it’s a language ting.

Jesus, I just presumed it was short for Leslie.

Yep in French it sounds fine.

I always thought it was ching ching.

1 Like

seems my memory was off, he’s definitely saying Chink Chink. Oh well

It’s a relatively crap name for an okish trick, which now sounds fucking stupid in light of race in the UK. It’s barely an onomatopoeia.