What do you Meme

7 Likes
4 Likes

Haha, we can laugh at him but I’m sure we all wore trousers not much smaller than those badboys. Except they were bright yellow, bright red or fucking Burgundy :joy:

1 Like

Exactly. Ours looked good.

3 Likes

Yep you’re right, it was all about the cut. Frayed bottoms 5mm off the floor.

The thing is, the first time around (like anything) it was cool. It made sense and looked right in the era. The whole back drop of music, fashion and the scene. It was kids doing it for themselves, not being sold to them by fashion companies. It wasn’t around for that long too, which made it even better. Super XXXL soon became a chilled baggy.

4 Likes

Plus I’m pretty sure we knew it looked a bit stupid and me and my mates were pretty much just trying to out stupid each other :wink:

1 Like

What was the deal with blank decks and none skate shoes (sambas, Shell toes etc). Was there a political reason for it or just a trend? Also my memory is fucked but was it just for a few months or a few years.
I can distinctly remember a time when you wouldn’t be seen dead with graphics on your board.

Shoes were definitely a trend, think about Cabs being cut down. No-one wanted to wear what skate companies were making at the time. Gazelles and States were very cheap at the time too. I’m not sure about blank boards, do you mean pros? I know pros would never been seen dead on their own model but designed the shape, so that could be a reason?

1 Like

I pretty much only skate Reebok royal smash sde. They’re good for skating

1 Like

Gazelles were a fiver and Big Spin blanks were £30. Thanks Dan! Had a few of those when they were cool, until they quickly became hideously uncool.

5 Likes

Oh Big Spin blanks and STM blanks? I forgot about boards like that, yeah just cheaper with no graphics on them.

Seeing what the ‘cool guys’ were skating via magazine and video coverage definitely played a part. We were lucky over here with the prices of shoes. I don’t know if the UK had surplus of old school sports shoes or what but they were easily picked up for under £20. They were more difficult to get hold of and were more expensive in the States. Yet that’s what the skaters we saw were wearing and consequently what we were tracking down and buying. On the other hand I do remember on more than one occasion buying full price pro boards and spraying the graphics out mimicking the World camp skaters - full victim mode :joy:

3 Likes

Graphic-less boards def a thing and no, not buying blanks either.
Buy a board, scrape off all the graphics before skating it.
Weird times.
Another one I remember was hats were frowned upon, no beanies or caps.
And then long hair was a def no no. The only person with it was markovich.

1 Like

Can anyone remember mindless blanks where’d you get 5 for £50 off ebay and they came in neon colours like getting a pack of highlighters.

2 Likes

As well as spraying the graphics out I once spent a whole evening scraping the graphics off a deck with a 2p. Like you said, weird times.

My mate had a trick with deodorant where you would spray it on, rub it with a cloth and it would leave the laquer.

2 Likes

Can’t pin a date or a particular shop on it but I bought a blank / complete while on holiday in Newquay that had Big Spin All Star wheels on it. Hadn’t heard of them before or since.

Same with the trucks. B52?.

I think B52s might have been Trackers (?)

2 Likes