Wheel Talk

I’ve been riding those Bones STF wheels after reading about them on the old forum - pretty sure it was Spanky bigging them up.
They’ve been amazing; wore down evenly, and didn’t cone - despite half my trick-bag being skids and shit.

BUT having skated Jimvo’s board briefly last year, I fell in love with the idea of softer wheels.
Bones do a filmer wheel - 80a - but they are too soft. Terrifyingly fast.
I’m currently on some Spitfire 92a’s. They’re pretty good - smooth roll, still skidable - but coning quickly.

Do you have any recommendations?

1 Like

Ricta clouds.

2 Likes

Surely the SPF are just a slightly softer (park) version of the STF’s? Could be wrong.
Or is slightly softer not enough soft?
I have had STF’s for the past how many years and they have been amazing every time

1 Like

Wayward

1 Like

Just had a look on their website and now you can get 99a stf’s. Not sure how long they have been available, but they are a fair bit softer as the originals are 103a. Bit difficult to compare the spf’s as they are on the B scale and I’m not sure how that translates to the A scale? I had a set of spf’s before I switched to the stf’s and they felt harder. Pretty unforgiving ride on the streets.

1 Like

just pulled the trigger on a set of 56mm waywards, will see how they turn out.

3 Likes

Bones do a softer Street wheel but not as soft as filmer. Had a set and didn’t get on with them at all. Will try to find out what they were

Edit* they only do 104, 103, 101, 99, 80a

1 Like

They were the 80a ATF Bones wheels. I hated them, way too soft, basically bought the wrong thing.

1 Like

But how are the Thunders?
sorry but not sorry for crossthreading

I’m on hols at the moment, haven’t got them yet. I think they’re waiting for me at the post office near home, will be back there on Friday, will hopefully be able to report back at the weekend

Ah, I must have misread, thought you already had them on. I’m intrigued to hear how a straight swap goes for a balance boy.

1 Like

had one set of Rictas a long time ago.
the cores cracked, and the wheels folded in on themselves. dismal

1 Like

I bought those. they’re so smooth, but most unresponsive.
and actually terrifying on hills

I remember around 08/09 seeing a few people who had the chrome cores end up having the whole core just pop straight out. another fella i know randomly spotted some god awful purple and yellow cored Ricta’s in a charity shop.

Had a set of the Natural’s last year, they were skating pretty decently until this happened on flat…

1 Like

Yeah that happened to both my friend and I around that time. For me, the purple chrome core broke off after a couple weeks of use and then I couldn’t get the bearings out of one of the other wheels. Waste of money. Not really heard to many good things about Ricta since (other than the soft wheels).

2 Likes

Not had any rictas since early 2000’s. Awful. Core came away for me too.

2 Likes

I’ll add to the cores popping out, happened to a friend

Same, I had a pair of Rictas in about 2004. The core came out of two wheels on the first session

1 Like

Bones blank stf for me, never flatspotted. Skated them from 52mm down to 40-42mm coned with one at 38mm. If it ain’t broke …

Ricta’s were a terrible wheel. they might be better nowadays with clouds but i’d never try them again.

1 Like