Black Lives Matter

who is it?

Yes and that’s not surprising, the country was very much weakened afterwards in many ways and it left behind a lot grief and trauma. I’m not fixated on it personally and I don’t think many other people in their 30s are but I get why the older generation have that view of it, especially the ones that went through it.

I’d be happy never to see another new statue put up ever again, I can’t say I’d miss them much if all of them were to be taken down but I get why they were made in the past.

Also, from seeing the videos in the news it seems to be mainly white people tearing down the statues, which I think speaks volumes.

Jason Jesse.

You say ‘revisionist approaches’ to history, but think of it this way: the Colston statue was erected in the late nineteenth century, long after Colston’s death. This was a time of high Victorianism - fist-pumping jingoism and scientific racism. The people Britain chose to venerate then are going to be totally out of synch with current, post-imperial empire and multicultural Britain. We should, as skaters, know that cities and public spaces aren’t static. They get redeveloped constantly. Why should statues be static? We’re just preserving Victorian tastes.

well fuck, it’s been apparent that he’s this way for so long. Has he not been ousted? Are companies still backing him?

A restaurant in tenby had boards on the wall and not long after his nine club, they took his down. I kept meaning to ask if that was a reason or whether it was just a coincidence.
Dude is a cunt of the highest order.

I wasn’t condemning the removal of statues of slave traders. That I understand. I was making a more general point about significant or celebrated figures who have dubious legacies such as Churchill. I also believe that it can be helpful to have statues of figures who are not celebrated but were historically significant such as Leopold II of Belgium or Cecil Rhodes so that people can read up on their legacy.

what About all the people that never walk past these statues?
Do we need the same one in every town so people can educate their self?

No, sack off the statues and Just sort the education system out.

1 Like

I can’t help it I know, I can’t think of anything unobjectively but where does the line get drawn when we have to defame literally everyone for some questionable action, trait, opinion by the people we have celebrated?

It will get to the point where we take down Bobby charltons statue because he slapped his missus in an argument when he was 25 or that he didn’t speak up when he partook in silly sexist racist changing room banter.
That’s all made up of course, but very plausible behaviour in that time.

It’s just a question. There is no doubt that these statues in question should go, even if replaced by monuments to show the history. But where is the line?

I’m afraid not.

https://www.adidas-group.com/en/sustainability/people/factory-workers/

Big Shoe Brands own their factories so they don’t need to employ sweatshop labour. Smaller brands have to use whichever factories can fulfil the order.

Is Rhodes much better than a slave owner though? He carved up southern/eastern Africa in the name of the British Empire, setting up situations in which white settlers had unequal power over black indigenous populations. He drove people from their land and forced them to work for colonialists. His actions led to apartheid.

Definitely a devisive character in Bristol before the weekend, that`s for sure.

1 Like

Is your mum Brian Wenning?

6 Likes

Yeh I agree. Improve the breadth of teaching about colonialism by the British and Europeans so more people are aware of its legacy.

Is this quite a new thing? If they’re not using sweatshops that’s good news as they were receiving a lot of negative press during the 2012 olympics. London 2012: War on Want criticises Adidas 'sweatshops' - BBC News.

Probably why it changed.

I was not arguing that he is less culpable than a slave owner. My point was that he is a more notable figure than individual slave owners. I am not defending him in any way

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBQt7Kjj8RH/?igshid=f4c8raj0d1q

Who’s in?

Yeah I’ll come to that.

Dunno about that dude.

I think this picture gives you an accurate idea.

2 Likes