Boxing

My mate built that Sky Sports boxing clock. He’s a skater and was sponsored back in the day.
Big up to all my broadcast graphics / skater homies, it’s a small club.

2 Likes

4 Likes

So after two heavyweight fights Usyk is going straight into an AJ fight? Seems a bit daft to me but then he’ll earn a lot of £££

Isn’t it because Tyson Fury has left AJ in the shit by backing out of the fight at the last min?

1 Like

They basically cuddled the whole time though

…or was that because Mayweather actually knocked him out and had to hold him up till he came back around? Haha.

1 Like

Fury legally has to fight Wilder I think and I suppose their aren’t too many top fighters at that level left for AJ but this seems a bit silly to me.

2 Likes

Anyone know what dodgy streaming sites I can look through for the Joshua fight?

Wish I’d watched that.

Was working on the tele coverage but managed to catch the fights :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Did they end the last round early or was the tv clock 6 or so seconds out?

Think he might regret this in the morning.

1 Like

Anyone on here done any boxing training?

I’ve been have a blast on the heavy bag at my local weights gym for some fun cardio over the past few weeks.

Got some gloves and hand wraps + a round timer app for my phone.

Been doing some Tony Jeffries sessions off YouTube.
Doing some basics and breaking a sweat. Feels good!

Question: As a total beginner how often should you be hitting the bag? My hands feel a bit sore, but it feels like it’s from clenching such a tight fist that I’m not used to when striking. I haven’t been punching with a bent wrist!

2 Likes

Check this - https://themmalion.com/how-to-punch-a-heavy-bag/

Yep, I do. I got back into it this spring after a few years off doing any martial arts stuff. Personally I do prefer kickboxing, but boxing is amazing for speed, reflexes and conditioning. Came home this evening from a session and now I’m physically tired, mentally wired and despite eating a large dinner, starving. The place I go is rad. Really small and run a couple of people who are properly into it for the right reasons.

Now, about how hard to hit the bag, it’s more about technique, so if you’re absolutely hammering the heavy bag, then you’re going to gas yourself out. My coach was saying to be putting 50-70% power in and strike it in such a way that the bag vibrates on the chain with minimal swing. This I find hard to do as I love battering the bag, but it’s basically a marathon not a sprint, and more importantly, it’s about the technique - you’re not necessarily trying to plough right through the bag, so bring your fist quickly back into your fighting stance.

When I was in Bristol, I trained weekly on pads with a friend of mine and he often used some heavy muay pads which are about a cubit in length and felt like they were made of concrete. I’d go back to work with bruised shins and tremblings wrists from pounding and him putting a lot of power into absorbing the strikes. If you’re really that new, you could probably do a load of push-up and pull-up variations to strengthen the wrist and grip strength and over time, this pain will disappear.

Best thing you can do though is join a class in a local martial arts gym and maybe take an occasional 1 to 1 class with the coach. You will progress far, far faster, with more effective form when a skilled coach is there to help correct your mistakes, along with having pads to aim for while doing combos, concentrating on footwork and the odd bit of light sparring - I do absolutely suck at it though and usually get my ass handed to me at the weekly sparring sessions. Saying all that, it’s really, really satisfying unleashing hell with a combo of punches and slips where each punch makes that loud crack each time I hit a pad.

And this is always relevant -

3 Likes

Thanks for that mate!

Wife wants to watch it. I’d quite like to see Jake Paul get knocked the fuck out. Weasel

3 Likes

Everything Ive learned about the pair of them has been against my will

6 Likes

Will stick it on out of morbid curiosity

1 Like

Was praying Tommy Fury would puppy out again just so Mike Perry could jump in

2 Likes

Tommy Fury is the bigger shithouse in this somehow.

1 Like