Cars

Fuck that’s a thing of beauty.

Bet it’s horrible to drive but it looks dreamy

There used to be an Essex Lotus Esprit rotting in someone’s front garden around the corner from me. Hopefully it’s disappeared into a garage.

Stupid fucking key fob wouldn’t unlock my car but would lock it. Then proceeded to set the alarm off every time I opened it with the actual lock.

Lucky I’m a fucking genius on google and able to buy a sweet new battery to stop me looking like a Michael Fabricant every time I get in my car.

I bought new key fobs to open the garage/gate (they are very common here, most flats/properties have gated car parks). They work once then don’t work again when I reprogram them. Needless to say I bought them on AliExpress for about 2 quid each. Maybe they have a rolling code or something? I dunno. Anyone?

I have Ducati electric gates at the entrance to my driveway and they have a rolling code. The process of setting up the fobs was simple once I had downloaded a PDF from the manufacturer which details the instructions on how to do it.

There’s a couple of buttons to press inside the control/power supply box on the driveway that’s connected to the gates in order to synch the fobs with the gate mechanism. I had the same issue as you to begin with and was convinced the replacement fobs I had just bought were faulty. I bought mine direct from Ducati in Italy,(which, incidentally, was a ridiculous hassle in itself), so I wouldn’t necessarily go blaming the Ali express fobs straight away.

I found the main control/ power supply box model number, downloaded the relevant PDF and it took a couple of minutes to get it sorted.

I’m not sure if that’s any help.

1 Like

Sick flex. :rofl:

1 Like

This makes sense, I don’t have access to the control box for my flat though. Will try it on my mother in law’s gates when I’m next over there see if that works.

1 Like

Question for the car heads on here who seem to know a lot.
Currently have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe 5 door 5 seat 4x4 with 110k mileage automatic with some dinks worth about £4k. It’s starting to show its age now, had to pay £500 to replace the air con recently and it goes through suspension coils and whatnot like no one’s business.
I need a 7 seater, as big as possible (dog, kids, mother in law who can’t drive).
It’d be nice to get something a bit more plush but don’t want to spend more than £12-14k. So keep seeing things like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208098634462 but it’s basically same age and mileage so am I just upgrading the current whip for a few grand to something which will have all the same age related issues?

Plus, anyone got Merc experience? Good? Bad?

I’m biased because I love ours, but if you need 7 seats have you looked at VW caravelles? 7 seats all slide 2 are captains chairs, table in the back. Rear bench is a rock and roll bed as well.

I don’t know much about mercs, but using the mot history check is always handy when looking at a new car. See what it has failed on in the fast or what things have gone wrong.

Always thought those Ford S-Maxs look pretty sick. This is just going on aesthetics and the assumption that mechanical work will be way cheaper than with Merc/Audi/BMW

I think with SUVs especially if you mix plush and German with limited budget you end up with high mileage and expensive repairs. Might be wrong though.

Not exactly plush but I quite like those Mitsubishi Outlanders. Been in a couple and they were nice, apparently pretty reliable. If you want the hybrid one it will probably be a bit more pricey though.

Opposite end of the spectrum (I only need 2 seats) I really want one of these little baby G Wagons to razz around on the beach.

2 Likes

Anecdotal but my old man got an Outlander about two years ago and it’s already been in the garage more times than I think the Pajero it replaced did in its first twenty years. Also, I don’t know if second hand car prices are still stupidly high or if they’re likely to crash any time soon but it might be a good time to hang on to what you’ve got even if it needs a few relatively minor bits to keep it going. But then again I can’t tell anyone about being sensible with car buying so if you want the shiny Merc and you have the cash then why not.

There’s a bunch of old Merc 280se and 300/350se’s going pretty cheap around where I live. W114, w116 and W123 etc. I know it’s probably one of the worst ideas ever, plus I know nothing about mercs, but the thought of driving along the coast when summer hits is making me wonder.

5 Likes

I’ve got a Jeep renegade which is mostly rubbish but it’s bright orange and is therefore my favourite car to date.

3 Likes

My homies little squad. Very jel.

1 Like

Always thought owning a haggard beat up old land rover would be the sickest thing ever. Maybe just banged up on the outside but restomodded so it’s deluxe inside

2 Likes

Ive always fancied doing this but motorway miles are proper shit in an old landy.

Im put off buying something old and cool because i have to drive alot for work. Im also put off buying something new and nice because i drive alot and fill the car with rubbish and dirt.

1 Like

And im too tight to spend any money.

1 Like

That’s why you budget for a little hatchback to be your daily driver when you buy your old cool car. You def need 2 motors if you’re favourite is in the garage a lot ha. I don’t think I’ll ever actually do it though, I get the sweats when buying big stuff. I’m too much of a wimp to take the plunge.

2 Likes