Cars

One of the plastic clips that the window regulator clips onto today snapped as I pulled up outside the house. The drivers side window went crashing to the bottom of the door with a bang. I’ve not got 2 bin bags and fragile tape as my drivers side window

Why does a skoda have a rear heated windscreen? For when your pushing it.

How do you increase the price of skoda? Sell it with a full tank of fuel

Exactly!

I can’t remember if I’ve put this in here before, this is also not a banger in the strictest sense of the word but it had done banger level mileage I’d say:

‘99 A4 Avant, bought it with 185k miles on the clock and actually drove like a dream for a year…

Still miss it! Funny how some stay with you.

5 Likes

Far from a banger. Come on.

Can’t really come back at you there, fair cop, you got me.

My first car was a £150 VW Jetta.
Served me pretty well.

2 Likes

My current car is a £200 Renault Scenic 1. Faded, lacquer peeling, ‘tropical’ green.

My family (notwife/ child/ dog) ‘expressed displeasure’ every time we went out in my previous - 02 MINI One - so I sold that and bought this off my Dad when he got a newer one.

It’s SLOW, the paint is HORRIBLE and as much as I’m embarrassed by it, it is roomy, comfy and has been really reliable. It’s also a lot quieter than my MINI was - no moaning.

I’ve grown a little attached to it now but regularly check Auto Trader for a potential replacement Dadmobile.

2 Likes

I bought a Peugeot 206 for £500 for my first car. Pretty average really until the exhaust fell off at the back while I’m in the fast lane and I had to drive the rest of the 40 miles home sounding like a Ukrainian tractor with sparks flying off as it dragged along the road. Took it to a mates and parked up and we went to the pub. Got back and he’d been burgled. They only took a phone that didn’t work and some of his wife’s underwear based on the drawers they left opened. I went outside to drive home while he called the police and we realised they’d also taken my car as the ‘getaway’. Must have been noisy as fuck. Saving me the repair bill and instead handing me an insurance payout.

Worst. burglars. ever.

8 Likes

First car I drove after passing my test was my mum’s 1.0 Austin Metro, it was white and so got nicknamed The Fridge, aka Le Frigo. Proper shitbox, broke down on the M1 once.

First car I actually owned was a 2nd gen Micra like the one below. Not a major banger as it was pretty reliable, but got some Duffs stickers on it and it was then forever know as the Duffmobile.

3 Likes

How about these bangers I ran? Paid £250 for each of them. Sold the Merc when it catastrophically failed its MOT to a nice Nigerian man who shipped it to Africa to become taxi parts. Sold the RX-7 (mk1 small rear lights version…v rare) to someone who was gonna track it for about £800.

Best thing about the Merc was that it was the same colour as gaffer tape so you might just be able to make out my arch repairs.

7 Likes

That Merc is a good looking barge.

3 Likes

Love those TEs, be worth a fair bit now vs what you paid.!

And can never not love pop ups. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

V comfortable and I love the looks but it had some serious issues - rusty fuel tank and filler pipe, rusty brake lines, oil leaks…nothing you couldn’t deal with in isolation but I was about the 10th person to have decided to drive it to death so the issues had stacked up.

2 Likes

Two beautiful bangers there!

Here’s another one…M badge and blacked out kidney grille all my own work :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Not a banger at all…it was mint. But I only paid £1100 for this early small bumper MK2 Scirocco so it cost banger money.

Sadly I used to live in a really dodgy area and always had this car locked in my yard…but I left it out the night before I moved to my new house with a garage and it got nicked immediately and burned out.

7 Likes

My little brothers first car, Polo Breadvan:

This isn’t the actual one, I lost all my photos of it when I deleted my socials. Almost identical though. I borrowed it and took it on a skate tour of the south west with Joxa and some others, slept in it a few nights when I drunkenly fell on my tent and destroyed it.

One time the steering went all shaky so we pulled over to take a look. Turns out engine had just fell out. We just lifted it up and tightened the engine bolts, ran like a dream after that. Haha

8 Likes

My brother had a Caddy on those ATS alloys…always liked that look.

1 Like

Ah devo’d! Loved the early Sciroccos and Corrados.

2 Likes