Cars

Yeah maybe it’s okay as it is, just not a fan of the fucking mahoosive manufacturer badges these days. And with every other panel on the van having been touched in some way or other this massive bit of shining OEM at the front stands out somehow.

Everyone seems to say it feels like it’s going to break but just work your way round with a trim tool and it’ll be fine. But I had a brief go and bottled it. I’ll try again when we’re not just about to go away.

I don’t know the answer to that tbh, but see what you mean - esp. the wheel sizing.

The ones I saw had the (or at least some) writing on.

1 Like

Haha! I nearly posted some :nauseated_face:, but thought I’d go for a sensible option first.

2 Likes

You can put any VW group alloys on it pretty much. I’d just check local freeads, Gumtree, ebay and try and find something in 17-18" with Golf fitment.

If you buy Seat or Audi wheels you can just replace the badges with stick-on VW ones. Loads of Seats have BBS alloys and they are often available cheaply used and sometimes already refurbed if you don’t want to do it yourself.

This kind of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164976299325?hash=item26695a8d3d:g:xycAAOSwQINg-xnA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184960946566?hash=item2b10881186:g:~nUAAOSw-ARg30Ed

4 Likes

I’m a fan of Porsche Twists off the 986 Boxster.

5 Likes

Look good but as Spanky said up there - those have had lots of work to get them to look right…spacers and suspension tweaks at a minimum.

3 Likes

take a photo of the front, whack into photoshop colour it then scroll the Hue slider and see what works. Then stick vinyl on it and carefully trim. I quite enjoy covering badges in vinyl.

Coil overs and a bit of arch rolling going on in there too I’d say. Very much form over function for me personally, I’d prefer smaller wheels and more suspension travel so it’s not a battle to drive on B roads. But that’s me, too sensible lol

2 Likes

Those BBS look nice.

1 Like

Yeah definitely form over function, but that goes for any wheel over 15" in a car that doesn’t need them to be that size for brake clearance or to reduce weight or whatever. If nobdy cared about looks we’d all be on 15" steelies with big bouncy tyres to drive over curbs and stuff :smiley:

I think the best thing to do is get VAG group 17/18s and just chuck em on. They should look right without any tweaks and if you want to fiddle with them later you can try some spacers and a suspension drop.

I had three sets of wheels for my old E30 and they were all BMW original fitment. You could find used wheels with tyres for the same price as a set of new tyres so just swapped my wheels when the tyres got low. That was back when I had a grimy yard I could pile old wheels in but my wife won’t allow that kind of behaviour these days.

4 Likes

I think it looks ok as it is. Just needs to be covered in mud and flies to be perfect!

Yep, agree. One of my fave cars in its original form (‘96 Integra R) is on 15”.

I’m a big fan of these two

That’s so sick, looks a bit like a lotus Europa

This is how I want them to look at the rims I want obviously not scuffed to shit. Similar tyres as well.

I’ve been messing with the minis turbo. Trying to make the oil drain a bit better. Just been changing a couple of bits and pieces ended up with shredded hands and fore arms stuffing them down the back of the engine

3 Likes

I’m no expert but that looks tiny! (Not that it’s a bad thing)

It’s the same turbo used on saab 93 aeros GT1752. Think they are 2ltr petrol engines, my mini is 1310cc. It’ll make more then enough power. You can go one bigger and fit a GT2056 but unless you’re chasing big big power there’s no point and then you have to chop the bulkhead to fit it. This fits without any bodywork mods

2 Likes

Seems appropriate for this thread. Nice change from my usual Gundam kits and probably my only opportunity to own an 86.

13 Likes