Cars

That’s cool. Are you sticking some tofu delivery stickers on that bad boy?

2 Likes

I want to swap out the rear springs on my Volvo v70, it sits too low and when I load it up the exhaust scrapes the ground over bumps and it’s just a bit too bouncy. Anyone done it before? is it a massive headache? 100% will do it myself but just want to know if I’m looking at an afternoon or will it be a fight?

Just looked at a Youtube video and it shouldn’t be too bad because you don’t need spring compressors to get them on and off so there’s less of a safety issue. I would never do suspension myself though because I know I would shear bolts/break something and end up with my car stuck on the drive jacked up with broken stuff underneath.

I say go for it and let us know how you get on!

Nah it’s fine. Pairs is advised, but front/back not an issue.

I have replaced one spring on the front before because one snapped. The other one looked fine and the car didn’t look wonky when I put the new one on so all good :smiley:

I’ve got the safety net of us having 2 cars so if I wreck it too badly I can always borrow the micra. beep beep

1 Like

This also depends what your car is worth of course. If you are changing the setup and the geometry on the car then it’s also a different question. On your SL I would get it set up properly by an expert, lowering will require camber changes and loads of fettling to make sure the car drives properly. My brother has an old Porsche 964 and has spent loads of time and money getting it to sit and drive right.

On a low performance car, estate, van whatever, you can get away with more.

1 Like

All good then! Jack it up and see how rusty your nuts are!

1 Like

Just noticed you say the same as AMG used. Not sure how adjustable those will be. I’d get a pro to put some top quality coilovers on it and set it up properly for you.

Edit - ok just saw your reply :smiley:

Yeah they make both shocks and coilovers I would guess you are going to replace like for like. Speak to your man not to me, I’m just guessing. I think your car probably has a special setup anyway. Coil overs might ruin it.

Adjusting it all depends what was used from the factory and if there is any adjustment in it. My mini has all adjustable at the front because from factory all 4 corners could have different settings. I’m yet to buy adjustable for the rear but the front is equal castor/camber and toe now. The ride height is also equal front to rear.

If you really want to get into it you can get the car corner weighted

1 Like

I made this Tamiya Porsche at the start of the first lockdown.

Unfortunately after I got the main Jagermeister decals on I spilled decal soft all over all the rest. I was inconsolable.

4 Likes

How do I sell a car with loads of bruises and the drivers door lock and main interior light don’t work.

Thanks in advance.

Say that it used to belong to George Michael.

2 Likes

That looks lovely!

I got one of these at home somewhere made by Ben Radcliffe, love a 964

1 Like

Wish they did an estate.

1 Like

It’s cool that it’s not full of vents and wings and wide arches too…the whole ‘aggressive’ car thing is pretty cringe these days.

As you say though…quality issues on paint and door handles and stuff are unforgivable.

2 Likes

Haha!

“Licence please”

“Hang on mate, it’s doing an update.”