ChatGPT and AI

Yeah I’ve worked in events, so much waste. I remember one company making a lot of fuss about how they use recyclable materials, I asked a build guy if it actually gets recycled, “nah it all just goes in a skip”

Sounds like a good company idea. If you can get hold of all those materials free…

1 Like

And me

1 Like

@neddy @jimvo I need to check details. It used to be I couldn’t get a discount on products if they were going to be used for business stuff.

2 Likes

This is personal

Available for pre-order on android store
https://twitter.com/OpenAI/status/1682480558545461249?t=w_SXpXrb0tr0gRDEjERKBw&s=19

Here we go, it’ll be the internet all over again. Mostly fine when it was just a few nerds messing with it. Fucking carnage once the rest of the plebs got their hands on it.

1 Like

Terrible clickbait title but this guy seems to really know his stuff

I didn’t know these language models can be “compressed” down to a few GB and run without internet. Fucking insane.

TL:DR?

Erm, massive disruption to jobs market in next few years, adapt or die (still waiting for them to say how) possible existential dread, people withdraw, virtual girlfriend etc. Brave new world, possible mass suffering/ enslavement from ai. Positives, free medical work that out perform doctors. Possible optimistic outcomes a bit vague, it all works out and everything is great. Giving the ai a good diet of quality information he sees as better than throwing the whole internet at it. Big potential for bias, weirdness. Oh and noone knows exactly how it works. If you ask it, it doesn’t know

1 Like

Listened to a bit more. AGI, artificial general intelligence is likened to creating a god. That’s actually what they are trying to do. Some ai can create new, better ai . The rate of development is off the scale. Way beyond predictions. No real regulation, lots of companies doing it. Some liken it to summoning a demon and hoping it’s a nice one.

Lots of talk about dodgy political uses, with free or cheap text to video just around the corner. Ability to differentiate between real and fakes impossible. Easily passes the Turing test meaning it’s impossible to tell if you are talking to a real person or not.

Fuck knows how this is going to work out

1 Like

Also ai systems are the next level, different ais with different skills working together, checking each others work etc. Potentially 1000s working together.

Ai robots v close. Boston dynamic style ones…

1 Like

One more stat. At the moment ai has an IQ of approx 3 x Einstein. If it keeps going, by 2049 it’ll have the iq of 1000 x Einstein. That’s like an ant to a human. It could feasibly solve the world’s problems or kill us all.

These are one and the same.

I’m 1/800th an Einstein and worked that out.

1 Like

Is it still basically just regurgitating all of it’s training data and not really adding anything of any substance, though? Are there any real conceptual leaps, things like that? What happens when it’s mostly just AI-generated dirge it starts ingesting?

1 Like

We’re only seeing the plebs version though… The stuff they’re working on has huuuuge data sets (china - tiktok for example) that it can anylise data to a ridiculous level. All medical records etc so it could feasibly work out ways to cure diseases etc. And it is learning things on its own. Learned Persian without prompts etc. They’re already using it in finance and it started predicting the future very well, and make bets that made big money, but they don’t use it cos they don’t understand how it’s doing it. (fearing it could go wrong and lose everything)

Apparently there was an ai that was fed a diet of unfiltered internet and it went nazi. So what you feed it is important. Good point what happens when it just gets its own content fed back in ?

Says a lot about what’s happened to many people being fed 2 decades of Facebook, YouTube and all the other social platforms .

2 Likes

Nope, a cleaner will pull the plug.

Sounds like a ton of sci-fi films over the past 30 years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this has led to my current downturn in freelance translation work. And it may continue to get worse as more and more companies cotton on to chat GPT and that in turn gets better. Currently looking for part-time work to keep afloat. The robots are too good!