Classic Sidewalk Forum

Anonymous confessions were always a good laugh even though a lot of it was just people shitting on other forumers. Wonder if it would work again these days?

Plus it brought us this which is still one of the greatest things I’ve ever read here, still no idea who wrote it

3 Likes

A certain revelation I discovered by complete chance might have been the most instrumental thing in my posting since 2005.

I was once chatting with someone (non skater - and yes, in that way!) from the other side of the world. At the time it was through an open messenger service so if the person’s profile wasn’t secured, you could actually see their contacts - and the very likely chance they were also contacts was because they too took the other bus. Well, I remember chatting with this person and I came across a contact of his and was just like “¿wtf?! I know that moniker!.. what are the chances!” There was no way this could have been anyone else as the moniker was pretty specific and he was based in the UK and a similar age. I didn’t say it to anyone at the time (nor have I ever, as it’s his business) but it actually meant a great deal to me knowing there was someone on here just like me. This was obviously way before BA and all that stuff in the last five years. Might seem like a shit and banal story, but if all the people you skate with aren’t quite ‘like you’, knowing there is someone else out there means a great deal.

21 Likes

Ah, Mumsnet…

andyo was a really great artist. I hope he’s doing something amazing now.

1 Like

There was something really cool about being part of a real community before social media even existed, at least in the form it’s in today.

It made the skateboard scene really cohesive. There was a time where I could (and often did) just pick a city in the country that I wanted to skate, and there’d be someone there with a couch to crash on. And vice-versa. Even if we’d never met in person. Quite special really.

8 Likes

Even with MySpace, in the early days of that it seemed like it was only cool people on it. Before all the emo/scene kids.

Yeah everything is so diluted now, constant always on social media has put everybody on the map, one of the things I miss is skating into town to see where the sesh was. You’d move from one spot to another and by the end of the day you had every skater in town together. Everything is Dms and the local park. There’s so many spots that don’t get touched anymore. Itss not all bad, just different.

2 Likes

N26 essentially shaped my later teenage years and brought me some of closest friends. Myself and TomGnargore (not sure if he’s on here?!) meeting Neil (not here but probably lurking) and @ForwardMotion led to trips to Paris and Barcelona, filming videos and forming a strong friendship with people who lived hours away.

Going to events and meeting people such as Anon, Rogie, Joxa, nicfromsidcup, LondonSkater even Cubix and already having that wall broken down to talk in real life. Thankful for it for sure!

As as an excitable teenager back in ‘05 myself and Tom certainly came in a bit hot and rubbed people up the wrong way with the Gnargore thing… sorry about that!

3 Likes

Is anyone still in touch with Scalamere? Haven’t seen him for ages. He was a hero, he made a bolt company and sponsored me. Got free bolts. Was sweet.

1 Like

You actually got the bolts?! This is bullshit

3 Likes

Hahaha

I think he gave me some in person, I never got a package. Might have made it up though.

@Snurp last time I felt like that was living in Spain, just linking with people all the time was rad.

I see Scal once or twice a year

2 Likes

I still have a copy of ‘Lost a pound’ that TomGnargore made (I think).

False advertisting, cost me a fiver, cunt owes me £4!

3 Likes

Was there a bit where all the gnargore crew lost a skatecomp against a bunch of scooter kids?

I Remember watching a vid Blackmetal made too.

Hahaha not far off. Our local indoor at the time had some weird thing where none of us were allowed on their team as we had mad a gag about it being the “Gnargore training TF”. Then they set up a skate comp and pitched it as Team Ramparts v Gnargore. They had skaters, bladers, bmxer’s and a snakeboarder on the roster, and the judge was the lady who owned it. Safe to say we lost.

There is some footage gold in the motel 6 video from when death did an all nighter demo/session thing there and got kicked out for stripping dibble and piling sofas on top of him. One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen live.

Also re: lost a pound, Tom went on to make another 4 videos after that that we were all in, randomly 2 popped up on eBay last week in Michigan being prices at $150 for the two?!

4 Likes

A pool cue went up his arse n all

And now I’m wondering who you are! Comedy gold though, never seen a team kicked out of their own demo!

put it this way it was the first demo i was ever a part of and was kicked out
and ive been semi gnargore affiliated (or at least a fan) ever since

2 Likes

Haha… and I fell over in to mud at Stoke upon shouting your name on arrival at the plaza’s grand opening. Hope you’re good boss.

1 Like

I admitted to that on the last forum and made a cartoon of it too.

6 Likes