Classic Sidewalk Forum

Also nearly got sacked for excessive forum use. Working for the department for transport in Leeds. Turned up one day and got called into the managers office. Theres was a massive stack of paper on the desk and it was basically my internet history. Absolutely shat myself but she let me off and shredded it for reasons I’ll never quite understand because I used to turn up every day and do absolutely fuck all.

5 Likes

I used to post under my old moniker (Mat.T) and often got rinsed for some shit. I remember getting a reply for some negative rep on something I posted on, whoever it was gave me some proper abuse haha. This was 2009-2012, then I went under this pseudonym.

I only lurked towards the end and posted a bit in the skate video archive, since I had my hands on Underexposed and reuplaoded it when MPORA exploded.

EDIT: Forgetting to add bits 'cause I’m a twp.

1 Like

I joined right at the start of Tonksbeefgate, which was a really entertaining welcome and it helped the time pass in a shit job I had.
Had three names and this is the only one I’ve bothered posting under. I think it’s cos this place is smaller now and a bit less like Slap than before.

1 Like

Think I had about 20 accounts over the years from 2001 onwards. Me and my brother used to make accounts with the same name as popular posters and put a ‘.’ after the handle. It was a simpler time and caught people out … maybe it didn’t and I was just 13.

Was the original network 26 moderator called Mark Selvey ? I definitely had a spoof account of his and we made a duplicate account of Tro, think he was a poster from Manchester around 2003, also remember a female poster called breakbeat79 or something from around the same time.

Now I just lurk.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s right.
Long, long time agi back when Sidewalk was based in Abingdon and @neddy and his mates (who also used to post jonowyborn etc) used to run errands for free shit off the product page

2 Likes

Damn - Tro and breakbeat79 are both mega
oGs they both had deep knowledge.

Did you set up all those anonymity. accounts as well. Amazing trolling if so :joy:

2 Likes

Yer and Peskett! Those boys hooked us up so much. If you ever received a resubscription flyer between 2004-06 that was us! Haha

2 Likes

Haha yeah that was us. My brothers original account was Fezal Faced Fish, he was pretty infamous for a 10 year old at the time on those original n26 boards.

2 Likes

Was Breakbeat79 from London?

I have a feeling that the laws around internet use at work are pretty vague unless you actually sign a contract which says you can’t use your work computer for personal browsing. I’d happily be corrected on this but I think it’d be pretty tricky to fire someone on those grounds unless it really was excessive use. I’ve worked with plenty of people who have chatted on Lync or something to several people nearly all day long after all, no one seemed to care about that.

He was only 10!
AMAZING

4 Likes

I thought MCR but could’ve been.
Maybe Tamsin?

From Sheffield or the surrounding areas too right?

I remember seeing his email address on the signup list at the House skatepark.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure. For ages, I thought it was this girl called Louise who skated OG Cantelowes a lot and then Playstation later on. She DJ’ed breakbeat stuff at Babushka next to Playstation sometimes…

1 Like

I’d assume the 79 suffix kinda rules that out.

How so?

Re: getting told off for too much forum usage, back in 04/05, I moved to London to work at a hotel doing various IT things for them and ended up with an office/workshop that was 3 floors below Kensington high street to myself for most of my day (when not doing things like helping Arabian oil tycoons order hookers off a smart tv) and for a few months straight my daily routine was to come in, get a coffee, spend 3 hours rinsing the forum and the internet in general and then hoover dusty computers and install Windows XP on them.

However, after the first week, I was tasked with running the weekly report on internet usage and what sites people had been looking at, and for how long etc. In a building with 100+ office workers, my forum rinsing accounted for around 40% of all traffic and the forum was far and away the highest visited site. I thought I was completely screwed and immediately felt like I had fucked up my first real work opportunity within a week. I somehow managed to delete half the logs for the week after trying numerous different things. I tried to be on my best behaviour for a week and not use the forum, but then found a trick whereby if I accessed a network drive as the admin for the whole network, the next hour of internet usage wouldn’t be monitored and thus my morning routine of coffee, biscuits and the forum could continue unabated.

18 Likes

If 79 is a reference to their birth year, I would have pictured her as being just a bit older than that. Only met her 2 or 3 times though, so I could be totally wrong.

Not really :confused:

had a trawl through my old Photobucket & everything is all teeny tiny & pixely.

Here’s the only remnants of N26 I have (may or may not work)

avecatbinlady_zps0cba9ec0 AVEsprint_zps6599a96a

flockdraw j23h4535_zps13fec5f7 jaggerdoesntunderstandtheinternet7_zpse9c8bfff mysterygraph2 mysterygraph3 nextman skanespam2 skateboardwhizz_zpsc38a05fd ![stupoo_zps7db1a278|372x370]
yella
polari-2

LOL when me & Jagger were mortal enemies & builda doing old fashioned trolling of Mumsnet.

Also - I can’t do this at the moment but I think this might contain every single url logged by the wayback machine.

http://web.archive.org/cdx/search/cdx?url=forums.sidewalkmag.com*&output=txt

Might be worth as Build suggested trying to find the end of year award threads in there and putting those urls back in to the wayback machine & jog memories. All the images are dead though.

7 Likes

That is properly amazing, procrastination plucked from the jaws of productivity.

3 Likes