Documentary thread

An enjoyable mystery solved/ shaggy dog story. The Toynbee Tiles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAsB_tJ_jk

Just watched this. Really well put together. Really heavy at points, obviously - but well worth taking the time to watch.

Good short documentary about luxury brands’ Italian sweatshops.

“One man who worked at the plant in 2014 and lost three knuckles - who wishes to remain anonymous - agreed to speak to us”

Ha ha.

Common injury in 2014, i guess?

1 Like

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve never not seen Dion at Rom skating the pool.

Hope he’s ok.

https://www.instagram.com/essexpoolservices/

He’s doing great…

That’s rad. The one time I went to Romford, back in 2005, I met that guy Dion. Looked the same as he does in that trailer.

Tonally, it is an odd doc, that.
Well worth a watch…but Lance (Who is clearly the film makers hero) gets a hell of a lot of screen time for a dude who has been there once (maybe twice). There are a lot of eras jumped over, too. It kind of goes from early 80’s to the rough situation is is in now.

Like I say, though - well worth a watch.

1 Like

It took quite a while for the film to be made and get a distributor etc, and when Lance agreed to be interviewed the director went over to the states to film him. If you do that, you probably end up putting more of him in than you might otherwise. Plus he’s known internationally, and that can open doors when it comes to selling the film to people like Apple.

Absolutely hate rom, it’s a death trap. Was closest park to me when I was a kid in the 80s, every day someone would break an ankle or wrist. I was lucky and got away with only pulling a fingernail clean out. The surface is awful, even on 90a 66mm bullets.

4 Likes

Explains your pace on a board

3 Likes

I used to go there every weekend from when it opened in 1978 till I went to university in 1985. I loved it then, but it’s very much of its time: very tight transitions and rough concrete. And I got injured a lot. Looking at the film, the surface is even rougher now.

Jesus you’re basically a pensioner.

3 Likes

Was Rom free to skate or did you have to pay ?

Except nobody here will be able to retire until we’re about 90 now.

2 Likes

Hahahahahahahahaha

But they’ll be eating the correct bananas.

3 Likes

And senile. I just realised, I graduated in 1985. I actually went in 1981
About the same age as Mr. Goff, I think - I skated his old ramp in Oxford a few times when we were both teenagers

Goff, bitter old cunt . Must have been something in the water back then.

2 Likes