Documentary thread

Just watched the Big Brother documentary - it was good till about 30 minutes in.

Post that - what an embarrassing load of shit.

I watched it on Amazon Prime a while back. I just checked this morning and it’s now showing as ‘currently unavailable’.

1 Like

Yep. Same here - had it under my watchlist. Now gone.

I wish it’d tell you when time was limited to watch these things…

1 Like

Come on, Rocco’s in it, talking about skateboarding!

Also Larry Flynt just died.

Ignore me. I was replying to something else and not quoting.

I do have Dumb, though. Quite enjoyed it but watched it a few years ago and only once, so maybe its shittier then I remember.

I was on about the Cedar Crest doc. That’s gone from Prime. I did see the Big Brother documentary and can’t remember too much about it. I think I was a little disappointed though. Will give it a rewatch as I’d forgotten it existed.

There is that Source skatepark, Hastings doc up on Prime. I haven’t seen it yet. Obviously going to be BMX heavy. Anyone given it a watch?

This is what I was replying to.

1 Like

I came in here and confused it all, sorry.

2 Likes

Monday morning, innit. Standard.

1 Like

That’s the good bit - the embarrassing bit is later (post Rocco) where Carnie et al are trying to posture that focusing an entire magazine around themselves (whilst simultaneously complaining about the blandness of the other mags) was iconoclastic or subversive.
It wasn’t. Neither was constantly filling their magazine with literal shit and cocks for cheap effect.
The rose tinted glasses are heavy in skate culture and none so much as with BB.
After the Roy/Gino issue and Tremaine/Natas departure Big Brother was awful.
No amount of cameos from Spike Jonze is going to change that.

1 Like

Watched this the other night:

Was pleasantly surprised by how much detail it went into about the actual movie and the fact it wasn’t as terrible as the trailers suggested it might be when it focused on Joey Cramer.

It had got shit before the Logo Issue, but it was good to see those first couple of years covered in the doc. Normally it’s all, “Big Brother was a magazine or something, but YAY! Jackass!”

It went to shit once Larry Flynt bought it. The issues before it had a set format were amazing.

1 Like

It was shit before then, because Cliver had stopped writing and Carnie was doing everything, but definitely got worse when it got bought.

Ah cool that Britney Spears doc is on sky from tomorrow.

Just watched CCCC. Found a torrent for it.
Was pretty good right up until they started talking about snake sessions - and from that point onwards, it got really, really good.

Thanks!

1 Like

No worries, it is good. I can’t take the credit for mentioning it first though - that was down to @anon83623327.

I think it read wrong.
I meant that it was okay right up until the snake talk. From the snake talk on, I LOVED it.

I used to love a snake battle. Would gladly get involved…and take all the runs I needed.

1 Like

Big fan of the choke hold.
Just grind towards 'em and lock them into one edge of the ramp, where they have no way out except the platform.

Ha ha.

I was polite, though. If someone was cool, or if it was little kids figuring it out, I’d let up. but sometimes it just made me laugh so much…especially with some people I’d skate with on the regular.

Also, did you ever see T snake? His technique was amazing - He’d literally pull out all the special moves - flip pivot fakies, etc. - until people just didn’t notice the other person on the ramp.
I always thought that was a dope way to do it.

2 Likes

ha ha. Again, I can’t seem to write this evening. What that should say is “Did you ever see Terence in a snake session?”

Snake sessions are weird - I don’t think they are macho for most, but when you have that guy show up (Actually, there was this old Cantelowes who was literally known as ‘Snake’ and he was like this), they’d always start the snake session for macho reasons and then just make it horrible for themselves because everyone on a ramp who knew how to handle themselves would almost make a point of giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Like I say; I was polite. Never started them, only responded to them. I’d (usually) let the little kids have their space too and I’d get out, if we dropped in on one another…mainly because no one did that for me at Rom way back, and it would have helped.