Equipment Thread

Might take a bit longer.
Note to anybody reading, a heat gun is not a safe alternative for drying your hair.

2 Likes

I once tried to use a heatgun to dry a screen (screen printing) and the mesh vanished before my eyes. :smiley:

I’ve got Ace trucks. AMA.

Are they same as Indys like everyone says?

They’re not like anything. They don’t look very nice but they feel and work fine.

Got them from a homie who gets them, wouldn’t have bought them from a shop but they’re fine. They’ve got a diamond on the inside of the baseplate though.

Ace trucks here too, went from indy 139s to ace 44s.
So far no real difference over the Indy’s either, nothing a bushing change couldn’t solve anyway

1 Like

Had ACE for a while and really like them

1 Like

The 44s are equivalent to 149s right?

In Aces own way perhaps, axle length of 44s is 8.35, 149s is 8.5 (if my googling was accurate)

Sounds right. I’ve got 44s on an 8.25

They’re an exact copy of the indy stage 3 geometry. I think that they look good, nice clean line across the hangar.

1 Like

Wow. Did not know that. Didn’t think Independent would make something so thin.

I have been enjoying skating Ace trucks (with the stock bushings). I think they have a more gradual turning radius and at first they can move kinda sharp if you are used to Independent trucks. This was a bit of a nuisance with fakie tricks for a couple skates but once you get used to it, they feel great. I think they are lighter than standard Independent 149’s so that is beneficial. No axle slips or cracks yet, which happened to my old set of 149s. The kingpin clearance in the beginning ain’t to great for smiths etc but that eventually grinds itself down. My mate had some issues with the big bowl at Livi cause of this but this may be down to how mental that coping is.

And if you are into that mad loose trucks/matt rodriguez approach they will be perfect for you.

Aces are lower than Indys (53 vs 55 mm).
Those 2 millimeters can make a lot of difference if you’re a big guy.

Anybody ever erode away the pivot cup on their trucks? Just realised yesterday I’ve done this on the front truck, Ace 44.

Yep, widened out the baseplate where the cup fits in too so couldnt put a new cup in after.
Dunno why it wore away there though??
I was skating very loose trucks at the time

1 Like

Only had this happen once before, 20 years with a pair of Krux, totally destroyed the steel hole itself. It’s not fatal damage, I can swap it with another baseplate, just unusual.

The part of the hangar that goes into the pivot cup could be slightly deformed so its wearing the cup differently? Front or back truck?? been doing certain stuff on that truck??

i’ve definitely mangled pivot cups but never completely away, seen two people do it recently both on indys. one ended up snapping his across where the hangar meets the pivot, the other was a younger kid who just kept riding it and rounded the fuck out of the pivot cup metal area.

@shoebill probably just age. It’s the rubber bit, like an underpants lining, that’s perished, not the steel itself.
@dontcomply sounds like I did the same with a Fury truck years ago. The pivot nipple thing was twice the thickness of anything else and I still broke it clean off doing a pop-shove…