Equipment Thread

so i stopped skating Tensor because i kept snapping them. only once managed to snap a kingpin on a pair of Inde’s. These Thunders have been through some shit but are still going strong. i skate fairly loose and land on the board real sketchy and they’re fine

Loose is why i snapped the thunders on the rail, ever since then ive stopped any tail/nose/bluntslide on thin rails because the lose trucks make the wheel lock underneath.
Do people still snap kingpins?
Was a regular thing when i was a nipper but seems rare these days

1 Like

this kingpin went on a nollie fifty. i went to high and disastered it and the pin just went

I do that with griptape when I get Classic F4s as these have graphics on both sides.

1 Like

Snapped one on a set of Indy hollows and man it was a fucking bitch to knock out and put a new one in. Club hammer job.
Haven’t done one since on standard indy’s

I posted in this thread about getting kingpins out of indes, in the end my mate had to use an industrial rivet gun thingy

Yeah i had it sitting over the end of a bit of concreted steel tube in my garden and was smashing the shit out of it with a club hammer . I squashed the end of the tube quite a bit but it worked.

1 Like

Need some new wood and thinking of trying something different.
What’s Baker wold like?

Had a lot of baker boards, i really like them.

1 Like

Been gagging to get a new board but I’m holding back as I’ve got a stack of about 5 that have barely been used. Only skated once since lockdown started as well.

Really tempted to get one of thse though…
https://www.sluggerskatestore.co.uk/products/plan-b-sean-sheffey-thing-skateboard-deck-8-25?_pos=1&_sid=fcc4961a1&_ss=r

1 Like

snapped a thunder 149 standard kingpin clean off right where it comes through the baseplate, went at it with a hammer and chisel for a while and didnt budge. did some googling and found a longboard forum where they mentioned sticking the baseplate in the oven for a little bit so popped the pivot cup out, did that and it came out after a good few whacks.

not sure how well that’d work for titanium/hollows/whatever newfangled technology is out there atm but it worked solid for me/

Never even though about that technique before, seems so obvious now.
Im sure it wouldnt be too hard to make a press to remove/fit kingpins but would probs only be worth having in a skateshop due to size/how often an individual would need to use one

I should have got my blowtorch out I use on seized bolts and ball joints on my cars. Hard way first as always ha! Luckily I’ve not had to do it since. Could be the hollow kingpin that’s the issue.

On the subject of hollow kingpins has anyone had much experience with hollow trucks?
Notice any difference to regs trucks??

Lighter. Can’t really comment on strength as I haven’t snapped a kingpin since literally last century

Significantly lighter to notice a difference while skating??
Im a tight arse so dont want to fork out the extra for something that doesnt really do much.
Also like grinding my trucks to the axle til they snap and hollow axles will surely make this happen faster!

You can usually get the variant with just hollow kingpin, not hollow axle. I got them with both as it’s summer and daughter did not need any new clothes so daddy treated himself.

No danger of any truck breakages (or even remotely aggressive grinding) from over here

2 Likes

Heat gun might do the trick too then.

Or hairdryer