Equipment Thread

Because for so long I’d asked people to be civil with Warwick, tried to moderate the conversation somewhat, and genuinely appreciated his posting.

Seeing him talk about some fucking carbon fibre skateboard as if everything’s normal and as if him and all his racist cronies hadn’t just ruined a whole lot of people’s businesses and lives has annoyed me, since you ask. As if we’re all gonna be, “Oh, cool carbon fibre skateboard bro! Brexit’s all in the past now, let’s move on!” or something and it’s horribly patronising.

1 Like

I think people will always have different views on things. With Brexit you basically have half the country thinking one thing and the other half thinking the complete opposite. But sometimes you just have to put differences aside and talk about the things you have in common. Even Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness realised that in the end

Are we going to have segregated schools for leave-voters’ children then?

All I’m saying is, these men wanted to see each other dead. If they can learn to get on, we can

Stuff I’ve had:

Core wheels (Ricta/Type S). Don’t really notice a difference in speed or durability. The main difference with wheels seems to be the formula of the urethane itself. Type-S seem to ride like Spitfire Formula Fours, which are my current wheel of choice.

Composite boards. Revdeck are light but split at the nose if they fly off and hit a wall, Libtech don’t delaminate but they’re a bit heavy, Flight Decks are nice and light but prone to razor tail. Kape Carboslick are essentially flight decks with a slick base - they’re light but also less likely to wear at the tail. Kape, an Austrian brand, are currently developing a new board technology they’re launching this spring.

Titanium trucks. Theeve TiH ride like Indys but are noticeably lighter. The metal is very hard, which gives them a very hard/harsh-feeling grind. You either love them or hate them.

Expensive bearings. After a week or two you don’t notice any difference. I had some Reds Ceramics once and they weren’t any faster or more durable. I generally go for medium-priced bearings from reputable brands.

You can’t review things after one try, you can’t ever replicate circumstances very skate you have so your revdeck and libtech opinions are not fair.

They’re laughing! Awww.

Sorry for being so negative. If those guys can make a change, following only a few hundred years of conflict and several thousand civilian lives lost, I’m sure we can get to that point one day too.

What other historic conflict could you compare Brexit to? The Jacobite rising was all done by 1745, maybe we could look to that for hope and inspiration?

This guy’s job is/was to lie. I’d take these reviews with a pinch of delicious British salt.

They no longer make Revdecks now, but I’d say they were better for wooden skateparks than street or concrete. Tas Pappas used to ride one, but as I say their weak-spot was they didn’t take full-on nose impact well. Then again, nor do regular decks.

Libteck have been making decks for 30 years. I think their technology has evolved since I had one.

The new Lithe deck is still in pre-production stage so I don’t know how it performs. Hoping to get mine in the next month or so

So Revdeck were not successful, they sought to make a product that wasn’t warranted.
I remember libtech when they started, they are niche and always will be. I hope and expect they know their place in the industry and I hope they don’t harbour any disillusion that they are still going to change the world.

You only skate ramps.

I do indeed. Ramps and bowls and that’s about it

i got some snake oil if you wanna buy that too

2 Likes

mate i’d do anything to get over the coping on vert tbf

would even skate that shite ffs

3 Likes

Built a new manual pad/box. Exactly the size of my boot and will fit alongside my ledge. Steel edged this time! Stoked

10 Likes

Nice, I’m about to build one too. Interesting minimal construction. Are you sure it won’t move when you hit it?

so this is my third one. the trick is -

1. tiny rubber feet
  2. make it weigh a fucking ton

my original block would move about a bit if you tried a slappy but with little rubber feet it wasn’t so bad. it’s main issue was it was too light (shitty aluminium copying)

my current ledge weighs a ton and has steel coping, it doesn’t move at all

haven’t tested this manual pad yet but i’m confident it won’t go anywhere

2 Likes

Rubber feet? Teckers! Where did you get your angle iron from? I want to avoid having to use that janky shelf frame material from b&q.

funnily enough, it actually came from b&q. i’ve never seen them there before but found them the other day. each length was just a bit short so the last foot or so is a seperate piece. the joins are almost perfect but i did angle grind them anyway (super smooth now)

ideally you’d have one piece. you can get it from iron mongers and joiners but there’s none open to non-trades people round here

the little rubber feet are literally just non-slip rubber pads (about 4mm thick) that i nail on. sounds stupid but it works perfectly

4 Likes

Good bearings last years…