Equipment Thread

Cliche were doing those Film trucks about 10 years back with some of their budget completes. Hope Daclin has fingers in other pies as I can’t imagine it’s easy to get a truck company to succeed without some serious R&D and cash to make it happen.

I have Film trucks, I can only compare them to Krux and mini logo but they seem to turn better than them. Do Independent and Thunder turn much better?

I’ve been on indy’s since I stared back 6 years ago. I then tried my mates board with ventures which I used to ride BITD and couldn’t believe how much less they turned .
My other mate got some film trucks and he rides them loose and even loose they felt horrible when turning , they wouldn’t turn like indys throwing me off balance like ventures . I still wanted to turn but the board didn’t .

I mean each to their own, I know my mates like the way they turn and are happy .

Thanks, when I’ve worn these Film trucks down to the axle then I’ll go for Independent.

1 Like

Just bought this for kerbs as I read that spray lacquer is really good for prepping kerbs. Bit worried about the “chalky finish” though. I wonder if it will work as well as a glossy finish.

1 Like

I’ve never found a UK lacquer that worked properly for this purpose. Might be doing it wrong though. Now I just go for fuck tons of wax

Ah ok, I’ll try it tonight but yh if that fails I’ll use loads of wax. Kerbs do eventually go well after a while anyway with a rub brick and wax.

1 Like

I think that will work. Normally use a rub brick, crystal clear gloss lacquer then some decent skate wax like ganj wax to get a ledge or kerb spot going. We managed to get some pretty weathered spots going that way. Some spots will take a can or two of lacquer to get them going.

1 Like

And my mates used some fancy lacquers for the pool coping he made but that can get expensive. For most newer ledge spots you could always just wax them up a bit then batter into them full pelt until they start to go.

I skated Indys for years - until about 2016. The price went up seemingly overnight after the Brexit vote and they’d also moved away from US manufacturing around that time too.

The last two sets I had wore out quicker than any I’d had before. Same issue both times: bolt holes on the baseplates rapidly ovaling out so the truck just rattled all over the place and threw me off course a lot.

Skated Thunders since and I’d recommend them over Indys. They’re about £5 to £8 cheaper, depending what size you ride, and just a generally nicer looking truck, in my opinion. Indy have that bulbous hanger but I don’t think that means you get any more life out of them. The stock bushings on Thunders are actually decent too.

4 Likes

The switch from Indy to Thunder means your wheelbase gets longer, and nose/tailslides get harder. How did you get used to that?

Unless you skate massive soft wheels you won’t notice it that bad. I prefered thunder for slides, felt more controlled at high speed

Honestly, I really don’t remember noticing any difference. For a while the weirdest thing was looking at my board when it’s upside down and there being so much less… truck.

I ride FA and Hockey boards anyway which are right shovel shapes so they really aren’t lacking in room for nose or tailslides.

I actually tailslid a Thunder baseplate down to the pivot cup last week. Personal NBD right there.

1 Like

what the fuck. show a pic!

I remember nosesliding a Featherlight down to the pivot cup, past the old-drilling holes and everything. Wasn’t doing much else at the time because those trucks were pretty fragile.

3 Likes

I find a massive difference between Thunder and Indy. Thunders are great but turn and grind very differently due to having a different alloy and geometry.

I have only ridden the hollows for both brands, but in both high and low geometry. I would say Thunders are more stable, Indies turn much faster (and therefore ‘better’) and Thunders have a harder more scratchy grind. Indies feel softer and I prefer that feel.

As far as wear and tear goes, for most people both are gonna be absolutely fine.

I have ridden other people’s boards with Ace trucks too, and those things are pretty sick but I like hollows.

1 Like

I think Venture are actually pretty good if you want a very stable truck. They turn like shit but somehow still feel quite nice.

1 Like

I got this to try on some local curbs but realise it’s matt not gloss so assume it’ll not be as effective?

1 Like

Got this from Wickes for about £8 and it’s really good. Recently went back to a kerb I sprayed last summer and it still ground/slid without the need for a rewaxing.

3 Likes

Haven’t used that one before but I think it will work just as well. You may need a couple layers to get it going.

1 Like