Equipment Thread

I’ve used the gloss hycote lacquer before after rub bricking a curb and it worked a treat. Layered up the wax on top and slappied it in - grinds like a dream.

3 Likes

Ordered some Bones STF after reading up on here (and the superbly named Wheel Talk thread) :metal:

2 Likes

Cool will try it tonight & see how it looks end of week

1 Like

Makes me laugh that people think that “skate wax” is somehow better than Wilko candles.

5 Likes

Same people that waste money on expensive lube when they’ve got perfectly good lard in the fridge I bet

5 Likes

I used Waitrose candles on my curb, but the sentiment is still the same :wink:

2 Likes

Apparently that ganjwax shit is actually pretty good

3 Likes

My missus has a side business selling candles, so I make my own melting down the offcuts. local ledge smells like ylang-ylang and lavender

14 Likes

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa hold the fuck up. no. i had this same sentiment for over 2 decades. why waste money on skate wax, it’s not different. then the first time i tried proper skate wax on something it turned out to be oilier than normal candle wax and slid super good. it is rare that i will change my mind on something when i am so sure that i am correct but most skate wax is definitely better than normal candle wax

disclaimer - i used to use tea lights for everything

1 Like

that plastikote sealer was the most recent one i tried! tbf it was a fairly crumbly curb and it seemed to absorb the stuff. maybe i needed to be more liberal in application

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know what I’m doing (always just waxed stuff before and that was my first venture into “Salba Sauce” having seen various people raving about the idea) and just happened to buy that brand as I’d previously used their paint for a Berra style spot manufacture.

I sprayed a load on, let it dry, sprayed some more on and then waxed it once - seemed to work!

damn now i want to try again. yeah the only reason i ever went that route is americans going on about salba sauce

Teenage memories. I used to love the smell.

3 Likes

Melt the candles pop in a bit of veg oil and it applys and slides loads better than candles alone. I’ve developed 2 different hardnesses for different ledges. Might not be as good as “proper” skate wax but its alot cheaper!

I use it on my skimboards. If you want that Sex Wax smell without having a block of sticky gack melting in your car they do these air fresheners.

1 Like

See I’m fairly sure it’s a similar thing for skate wax, just normal wax with a bit of oil. Thanks for the tip

1 Like

God the only thing possibly worse than using Marmite would be Swarfega

2 Likes

Deep heat? Vicks vapour rub?

1 Like

Sriracha?

1 Like

we only skate formula fours here sorry

6 Likes