Equipment Thread

was just watching some crap on youtube and apparently the top models of Ace trucks now come with a special “red” axle nut. this nut is made of a harder material than the axle itself so that you can use it to rethread the axle if required

this smacks of “tensor slider” innovation to me. sounds great but blatantly wouldn’t work as well as a normal rethreading tool

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s seems they’ve gone heavy on promotion recently.

I feel like this was on the actual TV news at the time. Or maybe the side of busses.

fuck, am I out of the loop? how do i get back in the loop? is there a newsletter?

Depends how much you pay attention to truck marketing, but don’t worry. Ace have been going in with that lately.

yeah i’m not great at that tbh :smiley:

They deffo needed to up their game when it comes to bushings and washers. I’ve had issues there, so interested in trying the new ones.

I used one 2 weeks ago to rethread my Indy axle I’ve been avoiding to sort for too long .
It worked a treat and I’d actually say it works well in a good skate tool and just as well as one with a threader.

2 Likes

hey everyone

im thinking of getting a new board soon
checking out some stuff and came across brands that im not familiar with

modus bearings ceramic or titanium. any good?
and the dkl non abrasive griptape worth 50 quid?

The griptape is worth it only if it comes with a free deck.

This will probably get moved to the Equipment Thread.

Yes, topic moved.

Would love to try the rubber grip

What the heck is none abrasive grip tape?

i checked the site

i was looking at the 5 pack for $50
1 sheet was $10

the non adhesive griptape is rubber based like ping pong pats supposed to make shoes last longer

Saw some on ebay too for £15 - might be less than the postage from USA.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164836729743?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=164836729743&targetid=1140014333262&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045901&poi=&campaignid=12126077997&mkgroupid=116380011786&rlsatarget=pla-1140014333262&abcId=9300480&merchantid=6995734&gclid=CjwKCAjwhMmEBhBwEiwAXwFoEfLDJZWuZTFhqqYkAZ6lxFW2ncCyVelbp8OlCuHc2udvXhR5HaDtzhoCeZgQAvD_BwE

Pretty sure he’s in the US anyway.

anyone ever try it then?
curious before i invest in them

i tried a mate’s board that had a really early version of non-abrasive griptape years ago. it was rubbish. the issue is that normal skate shoes just won’t get enough “pull” on the griptape for control. it’s possible that if they sold some kind of special shoe that worked properly with it then it would work but i think it’s a waste of time otherwise.

disclaimer - this was years ago and it may have improved since. i think it’s telling that you never see this stuff in the wild. never at skate parks. never in videos.

1 Like

Didn’t Gou Miyagi use carpet instead of griptape? Or was that one of those urban myths.
Anyway, he was one of a kind, so I would just stick to regular grip tape.

I’d imagine it would add quite a bit of weight to the board?

Not if it’s magic carpet

1 Like