Equipment Thread

Skateshops get people calling in all the time to ask for old decks for art projects and stuff. Hit up your local.

1 Like

anyone switched from classic shape wheels to tablets recently? interested to know what difference the wheel profile makes

Didn’t like tablets. They look good and you can lock into crooks and stuff nicely but they were shit for slappies and I do a lot of slappies.

interesting. see i recently got some new classic wheels have worn my old ones into a tablet-shape anyway. first thing i noticed was how fucking crazy my crooks were, slipping out all over the shop. can’t say i’ve noticed a particular difference for nose slides or flip tricks

i don’t really do slappies

I would suggest dropping your old stuff off at your local skateshop or skatepark

It won’t make any difference for noseslides and stuff, only really to grinds on ledges and rails…and to some extent on coping too, particularly pool coping.

Basically the conical/radial edge lets you ride up and over things edge-on. So when you go for a slappy (or pool coping grind) you have a big of leeway to smack the wheel into and over it.

With tablets you don’t have any wiggle room, it’s a totally flat surface so I was finding that some of my slappy attempts were being denied! It was quite frustrating because I couldn’t ride on my usual angle and had to go more straight-on.

I also found that smith grinds on ramps were harder because I like to sort of slide into them rather than always riding up into 5-0 and dipping. I could compensate for it, but it was a bit weird.

On the other hand, if you are ollieing into everything and skating ledges and rails a lot, I think tablets are good. You can really stand on them quite hard without them slipping out. Good for crooks/feebles etc…

interesting. might try them sometimes. the likelihood of me skating slappies or pool coping anytime soon is incredibly low

1 Like

speaking of wheels what are some good wheels to street skate?
i got some spitfire formula four classic wheels coming 52mm 101a i think
i just missed out on some bones v1 wheels
any of these good to skate?
i do a fair bit of reverts and the rough roads have already worn out my wheels (surface cracks and indents from stones)

F4’s are brilliant! Hard, slide well and don’t flatspot.
If the roads are particularly rough round by you I would suggest a larger size maybe.

i do a ton of slides, powerslides, badly reverted tricks. still haven’t flatspotted an F4 and every other wheel i’ve skated in the last decade has been retired because of gratuitous flatspotting

formula four classics, 52mm, 101a is my jam

they’re more or less perfect. just be prepared that any rough ground will feel very, very rough. i’m fairly used to it now. rough carparks is pretty much all i skate

im used to rough roads
just wanted something that could take the abuse i put it through

99a are slightly more forgiving and still slide. Any softer than that you will start to struggle. Difference between formula 4 or bones stf is down to personal preference (I ride the latter) but they are both top tier.

1 Like

haha that’s crackers man, i’ve always sanded my grip down loads so i can move my feet about better

1 Like

Hi

I was wondering if you all could help me figure out whether or not I’m imagining something. I was worried I had a bent rear axle, as the inner circumference of the rear wheels seemed to be wearing faster than the inner circumference of the front wheels. I even tried sliding some coins under the axles, with the hangers on a work bench, to see if the axels ran parallel with the coin on the top of the stack. But I’ve noticed a separate set of wheels on a separate set of trucks also seem to have worn in this way.

Do rear wheels wear differently to front wheels?

Thanks

Wheel coning. Its about weight distribution you tend to put more on the back as apposed to the front when turning that not including ollieing and landing.

Also it’s not uncommon for thecsxle to slightly buckle with use and landing heavy. So even a fresh set of wheels can appear coned when they’re really not.

This should really go in the equipment thread.

4 Likes

Moved to equipment thread as suggested.

Ta.

Also if its coning on the inside rather than the out it might mean one wheel has worn down quicker than the other as before depending weight distribution you may like me turn more on your toe rather than your heel so that one wheel might wear down straight and the one on the heel side cones on the inside rather than the out.

I never really bother,l but wheel rotation helps swap the front wheels from the back and turn them round.

1 Like

My back wheels end up tiny especially the toe side one, it’s from doing powerslides loads, might be the deal for you! Or something similar with how you have weight on your back foot!

1 Like

Thanks! It is the heelside wheel which is wearing from the inside. I have been heavy on that wheel recently while doing a lot of backside carves. The toeside wheel has worn too, but not by so much and the front wheels look fine.