Equipment Thread

certainly not a new idea. could be fun to try though

1 Like

Would be cool to try a session with each, see which one you prefer.

Make a man feel old.

6 Likes

Recently got a Carve Wicked deck that has taken ages to get used to, turns out it has a 14.5" wheel base. Seems I’ve been riding 14.25" by accident my last few boards, I’m gona persevere with it as I can’t justify wasting £40! Never realised wheelbase could mess you up so much!

I always see it as a nose length option, not a wheelbase option. Just my opinion

I’ve been redrilling boards to get a shorter wheelbase and longer nose. Seems to do the job.

I need to check my wheelbase. Never paid any attention to it before but may explain why I’ve lost all my flip tricks!

this has been posted before but -

he has some related videos as well. gotta love Ben

3 Likes

It’s not new, just not been seen for years. I think Schmitt Stix, Blockhead and SMA/Santa Cruz , (and probably some others- Powell, maybe) did it for a bit iirc sometime late 80’s ish. I think it was more about having more nose than choosing your wheelbase. Although you can’t have one without affecting the other I guess.

3 Likes

I’ll have to watch that video. Never know which way to go with a double-drilled board.

1 Like

I think Gonz was first with the double wheelbase. Short for street, and longer for vert

1 Like

Yep, I rode Mike Carroll after Mike Carroll for a long time because Girl did them in a sub 14’’ wheelbase - great for lazy flatground.

1 Like

ha ha ha ha

looking at a post from earlier

saw someone was saying about wheel coning

how do i tell if my wheels are coning?
they get changed around alot because of clumsiness leading to bearings needing cleaning and oiling

so im assuming there fine for now :man_shrugging:

genuinely if it’s that bad you’d be able to visibly see it. if you put your skateboard on a fully flat, smooth surface you’d notice one wheel touching on one side but barely touching on the other. i don’t get coning but i know i wear wheels unequally. i’d swap them around but for some reason my setup obsessiveness doesn’t extend that far

My wheels are coning. Look at the wear on the right side, you can see the wheel is turning cone shaped compared to the other side which still has a flat running surface.

ive seen that on flat surfaces some wheels dont touch
but i assumed that my new bushings haven’t broken in yet
but ill check if the wheels are visibly coning

Oh yeah I meant more part of a wheel will touch but not the other part

ohhh right makes sense :sweat_smile:

also was wondering
im looking for a plan b pro spec 8" deck
ive been trying to find one without the pro names because idk who they are :joy:
theres a few i found but there out of my size

I wouldn’t be too fussed about what name is on there. The shapes of the non pro boards are likely to be the same anyway.