Equipment Thread

I don’t know why just a bit of communication isn’t enough to explain.

If you make a statement of intention all should be fine. If something is done and used in good faith then surely the intention overides the loose connotations of the use.
I don’t like the logo, never have, it screams biker gang more than nazi to me but if Indy made a statement saying it’s just an old logo, no thought or links with any ill connotations then I think people are big enough to let it slide. But on the other hand, has the damage been done by the link being suggested in the first place? I don’t blame them for moving away from it, it shows them to have grown and not be surely stick in the muds over a logo that they might have to keep explaining.

Just cleaned my super six swiss with acetone and used the speed cream but some seemed to be a bit crunchy even after that. Having said that, they do seem to be rolling fine though. I don’t think I should have left it 13 months after buying them to clean them for the first time. Maybe another round with the acetone and bearing cleaning unit might do the trick. I’m loathe to fork out for another set. Lesson learnt anyway, will clean them every month or two from now on. It doesn’t take much time.

Edit: did another 2 rounds cleaning them and they’re less crunchy now

I’ve got two crunchy Swiss bearings after a recent clean. Might try and do a full disassemble next time but getting the bearing back together is a ballache and not a guaranteed success. The set is 10 years old and I’ve probably had 5-6 years active skating on them so had my moneys worth.

Yeah I’m firmly part of the ‘just buy a new set’ crew but there’s something about cleaning out your bearings that is pretty cool/fun

3 Likes

Yeah. With the price Swiss are now even more incentive to look after them.

I cleaned out a set of cheap Speed Demons a number of years ago, the plastic shields had cracked so they were binned and they’re sat in my parts box. Might throw them in some wheels and see how long they last.

I always disassemble mine and they always go back together fine as you can easily line the ball bearings up with retainer. The retainer does get brittle after a few years (mine are 12 years old) and one did snap, but it still works fine.

Sorry, I meant balls out ( :smile: ). Getting them back into the races, probably how I knackered two of them!

Yeah, that’s what I meant. I polish each individual ball and the races. They’re easy to put back together. That’s why yours are feeling crunchy as there will be impacted grime on all the surfaces that just squirting alcohol/speed cream in won’t get rid of.

2 Likes

What do you polish them with?

I just use a q-tip with some white spirit for the races and wet wipes remove the grime from the ball bearings fine.

I just spray them with Fuel injection cleaner, leave them to sit in a puddle of it then spin the shit out of them to get rid of the crunchyness leave to dry then blob of speedcream and good as new.

I kept a spare electric toothbrush head for at least 20 years for exactly this job but never got round to actually using it. Chucked it out about 6 months ago and…here we are

1 Like

Mine have gone a little crunchy, well some of them. I don’t want to have to buy a new set. How do you go about disassembling and polishing them? Cheers

I found it was difficult to get the ball bearings back into the races, however I appreciate there is likely a technique to doing this effectively. And I’d likely had a few beers at the time too.

Might attempt a breakdown of the knackered ones as it’s only two :+1:

I’m like @Spanky , just ride em til they’re knackered and buy some more. In regard to sorting out the crunchy bearings, I have heard of people blasting then with compressed air to shift the crud - might be worth a trip to the local petrol station. Just a thought :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Loads of tutorials on youtube. I used a small mobile phone flathead screwdriver to pop the rubber shields. And to pop out cage I sat one edge of the bearing on a magazine and worked around it. Even with all the balls out I managed to get it all back together somehow. The first time I ever tried when I was about 10 I completely fucked the bearings up (metal shield NMBs) but it really is piss easy with rubber shields.

1 Like

Haha! This is well MAS.

The bearing thread there spans 2006 → 2021.

I wonder how long before discussion moves to paddling a longboard… :thinking:

5 Likes

To add to spanky’s post, I use a stanley blade to prize the shield off, then you’ll need something to push the retainer out of races. When reassembling (using a small tray so no bits are lost) I just line up the inner and outer races and then drop in the ball bearings. You’ll prob have to move/jiggle them around abit so they all drop down into position. Then you’ll need to space out the ball bearings to approx where the retainer will go back in and press it back together. Prob takes me about 30-45 mins to clean/polish/lube a whole set of 8.

1 Like

It’ll be all ‘show us yer quiver’ and ‘my next build’ next month :laughing:

4 Likes

That’s much better than my paddle / longboard comment. :clap:

I do like a good grip job / new stuff post though…

2 Likes