Equipment Thread

I’m loving my AF1s but it took me a couple of weeks to get used to them. The stock bushings are soft and the trucks feel much turnier than the Indys I was used to. But once you’re used to them they’re great. I wouldn’t go back

1 Like

Ace trucks seem to grind a bit better than Thunders and you won’t find a better turning truck. Edit: They turn the most of any truck if that’s what you like. Ace make the wheelbase quite a bit shorter than thunders. There’s a few Ben De Gros videos about that on youtube. Ace trucks are good, it just comes down to preference.

I think a lot of this is just in your head really, but maybe worth watching before getting Aces.

1 Like

cheers fellas, ended up ordering a set of the classic 44s. If anyone else is in need of new trucks, Palomino currently have regular Ace’s for £40 a set and regular Venture’s for £32 a set, some other variations (ie hollow/lights for marginally more but smaller sizes).

2 Likes

What size board are the 44s for?

Classic 44’s are an 8.38 axle (I’ll be putting them on an 8.5), AF1 44’s are 8.25. Here’s the sizing chart.

I’ve seen a lot of people go 55s on an 8.5 and up. Ace sizing is weird.

yeah it’s kind of all over, I wonder what the reasoning behind the classic sizing is? Least they fixed it and made it logical for the AF1’s. Personally I skate 8.5s and like my trucks to come up a bit short so the stranger sizing of the classics doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

I have AF1 44s on an 8.38” deck and AF1 55s on an 8.75” deck. I’d say for AF1s the 44s are similar to Indy 149s and the 55s are closer to 159s

Banging, not skated anything but Indys in so long but just got a pair of 44s

1 Like

You got em in the sale? Rad, I ended up just paying full price for regular 44’s along with the rest of a new setup from Native with the hopes I’d be able to pick them up yesterday, but the Jubilee along with that ginger prick Ed Sheeran being in town completely fucked any semblance of public transport being on time so I was unable to, gonna head out shortly and pick them up. Last time I had a brand new complete, a Girl board with Royal trucks was a relevant setup so it’s definitely been a while.

2 Likes

Yeah! worth a go at that price for sure

good shit, let me know how you find them! picked my order up earlier to find the Ace classics had been swapped with AF1’s, think it was a stock issue but I’m not complaining.

The Killing Floor 8.5 x 32.25 x 14.5
Ace AF1 44
OJ Elite Hardline 101a 55mm
Mini Logo Bearings (maybe its been that long since I bought bearings, but these fuckers were doused in bearing lube, box was soaking)
Jessup/Maybe Hardware

5 Likes

You got a bargain. The AF1s are the same geometry as classics but they’ve upgraded a lot of the details. You even get axle-rethreading wheel nuts.

1 Like

Decided on a deck, a Madness 8.5, just wondering what trucks and wheels people recommend. I’m only going to really skate indoor and outdoor skateparks. Not sure how much skating I will get to do so any recommendations on cheaper items but still good would be helpful, other options to the big guys like Indy’s and spitfires etc.
Also what size and hardness do people recommend

I have a Madness Sam Beckett deck.
For an 8.5” deck you could look at Indy 149s or Ace 44s. In terms of cheaper trucks I’ve heard good things about Mini Logo.
People have different preferences with wheels - big split between Spitfire and Bones users. Personally I ride a lot of indoor wooden parks that can get slippery with dust and humidity so I go for a slightly grippier wheel - I’m really liking the Formula Four 97a formula, at 54mm

Film trucks are decent for about £40. I think overall I prefer them to Mini Logos and the company was started by Jéremie Daclin which is rad. Can’t go wrong with F4s but if you want something cheaper Crupie wheels are decent for about £30.

Minilogo stuff is decent for the money. I’ve had a set of their wheels as well as trucks and they lasted pretty well.

No idea what their ‘normal’ wheels are like, but i have a set of OJs on my cruiser and they’re great.

https://www.thepalomino.com/ are selling Ace classic 44s for 20 quid each at the moment - I’d highly recommend them. Switched over to these from Indy’s a while ago and haven’t regretted it for a minute (I ride an 8.38 and they’re perfect on that size, so would also fit an 8.5 nicely)

1 Like

It’s honestly a waste of money buying any wheels that aren’t F4s

post sponsored by spitfire

5 Likes

Yeah for sure, Ace classics for £40 is a great option. I’ve ridden them on an 8.5 and it works well.

Just a bit confused about whether I should go 44’s or 55’s as they both fit an 8.5
Seen the posts above but still not sure which would be best for me