Film Thread

Watched the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford last night, a truly underrated gem of a film. It’s so well made, you can feel the paranoia just seeping out of the scenes.

I haven’t seen Casey Affleck in much recently but he’s outstanding in this. Brad Pitt is great as well, he’s got this nervous energy like you don’t know if he’ll cry then hug you or laugh and stab you. And Sam Rockwell is in it. And it’s Roger Deakins smashing the cinematography.

Fuck, the whole thing is great. Apparently there’s an unreleased 4 hour version.

4 Likes

Watched John Boorman’s Zardoz last night. Fucking mental. Crazy to think it was his follow up to Deliverance.

Sean Connery runs around the moors in a nappy with his hair in a plait. That’s pretty much all I remember.

That’s basically it. And Charlotte Rampling.

1 Like

It’s the wiZARD of OZ all along!

Watched American Fiction last night.

Well worth your time. Really enjoyed it.

1 Like

This was great:

“The Penis is evil! The Penis shoots Seeds, and makes new Life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the Gun shoots Death and purifies the Earth of the filth of Brutals. Go forth, and kill! Zardoz has spoken.”

Love Zardoz. I really like Boorman’s Excalibur too. Another really strange, trippy film.

1 Like

Needs a spoiler edit!

Anyone seen El Topo? Some kind of trippy western but the DVD I got is the wrong region so I can’t watch it

Isn’t there a way of changing the region on your player using the remote?
You’ll need to google the model number etc.

1 Like

The BFI Future Film Festival shorts went up yesterday, and there’s a nice little skateboard one. @Londonskater in the Thank Yous at the end, amongst other good people.

6 Likes

I think that (and Magees one) is because originally the creator wanted old 90s SB footage. I had a bit. Dan had way more and better. We sent a lot her way and that was it, really.

And then she realised how bad old video looked compared to Winstans lovely HD stuff. ha ha.

Cool film.

2 Likes

Ahh mate that was fucking rad and an important piece I feel.

My girl watched the Warble World vid from last year earlier this evening (Manramp? Yeah, hes a man AND hes a ramp! Yeah, you can skate a full pipe in a bikini if you want!) and has watched this Skatebook vid twice this evening. Shes been going through some anxiety again recently which has made it a bit of a struggle for her coming skating with me and even to the girls night.

She seemed gel with this video because this is now the same info but from a different source with many voices expressing the same internal worries, not her (likely really fucking embarrassing to her!) skateboarding dad, expressing the same internal worries :smile:

TLDR: Daughter could relate and liked it.

4 Likes

Watched the iron claw, heard it was pretty sad but that’s not a concern as I’m dead inside.
Nope, haven’t cried like that in a long time.
Dislodged some stuff in there I reckon.

1 Like

Home alone tonight so I got to choose a film all by myself…

I went for The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. Nicolas Cage playing Nick Cage… a fictionalised version of himself “channeling his iconic characters as he’s caught between a superfan and a CIA agent”.

It’s bad / good / stupid / funny, but I think it’s on purpose.

1 Like

Loved that film. It’s just so stupid it’s great. Cage just being himself and Pedro Pascal (as always) being brilliant

Unrelated, I’m re-reading lots of Stephen King St the moment and didn’t realise the Shining had a sequel called Doctor Sleep. Haven’t read it yet but apparently it also has a movie, does anyone know if the sequel movie is any good?

Yes, it’s quite a good film if I remember correctly. But don’t go in expecting it to be like The Shining, it’s quite different.

1 Like

It is very funny.

I think I have a secret man crush on him (or his character from Narcos).

2 Likes

Just watched Nightmare Alley, or should I say, forced myself to finish it.

There’s a good film in there somewhere - it started out well and came together at the end, but bloody hell the middle hour dragged on.