Film Thread

the 1954 OG one

1 Like

Alien Romulus is great.

Possibly the third best Alien film overall imo. It dips a bit in the middle but really pulls it together in the final act - it definitely commits to what Prometheus couldnā€™t.

1 Like

I loved it but seen a few haters in the cut that said they threw too much at the wall in the third act. Fuck it, thatā€™s what made it good.

Yeah I can see that but tbh if itā€™d ended after theyā€™d got back to the ship I wouldā€™ve felt a bit short changed.

Personally I might even have not had the acid corridor scene at all and just gone a bit bigger with the human hybrid. But really the only bit I didnā€™t like was the catchphrase callback, otherwise it was all really fun

Third after? Alien and Aliens right?

1 Like

I watched alien resurrection the other day and itā€™s still totally watchable and gets way too much hate.

3 Likes

Alien 3 also gets too much hate, Iā€™d love to see that assembly cut certain people seem to rave about.

Just saw Romulus and really enjoyed it, worth going to the cinema for Iā€™d say.

1 Like

Romulus is good, but not great.

I feel like the Alien hybrid at the end grew too quicklyā€¦ would have been more terrifying had it been the size of an actual human child and moved like a rabid monkey.

Also, whilst Rook was great and I didnā€™t realise there was going to be that cameo, it leaned a bit too heavily on the sinisterness of the past character in the original with him being broadcast on the screen in the ship and elsewhere. I feel like the same outcome could have been achieved another way, possibly whilst improving Andyā€™s story arc too.

2 Likes

I watched that last week as it was the only Alien film I hadnā€™t seen. Hard to hate too much on anything with 90s Winona in, but it wasnā€™t great.

Mad that the same director went on to do Amelie

i absolutely love Alien, Aliens, Resurrection and 3.

Alien is a proper horror movie set on a space ship. itā€™s brilliant.
Aliens is more of an action film but the troops are great. the extended proper version with the turret and everything is so good.

I thought 3 was a bit of a let down. itā€™s different which isnā€™t necessarily bad but the bleakness after 2 just feels like a drop off.

Resurrection is the perfect campy late 90s action film. it has everything. Ron Perlman. Winona. itā€™s so stupid but so great. love it.

i think Prometheus and Covenant are really annoying. they COULD have been brilliant but thereā€™s just so much meh. how could a film with Fassbander and Fishburne be so weak.

anyway iā€™m seeing Romulus tonight and iā€™ve heard itā€™s really really good so fingers crossed itā€™s not just going to be another franchise filler

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried so many times with Prometheus, but despite some individually cool moments, itā€™s just filled with dumb people doing dumb things in an overly complicated story. Fassbender acted the shit out of that role though.

I much prefer Covenent - it looks incredible, itā€™s brutal and overall quite bleak. Still not great though, so Ridley stepping aside for Romulus has clearly benefitted the franchise though

Always been kinda disappointed that ā€˜Earth Warā€™ was never filmed, made sense in the narrative timeline after Aliens rather than another ā€˜alien chases people in tunnelsā€™ that most seem to have been since.

3 Likes

yeah i think thatā€™s my problem with both films. the general premise is good but the details are so stupid. each individual character just seems to make ridiculous choices with little to no reasoning. if youā€™ve got a long film and somehow manage to fail to make convincing characters then the writing really has to be utter shit

in other news, while i refuse to acknowledge the Crow remake exists, i have learned that they have turned Eric into a soundcloud rapper and that has made me really angry

I did have that thought during Romulus. Not necessarily a fault of the film as itā€™s a trope weā€™ve seen in numerous other non ā€˜Alienā€™ films, but thereā€™s a limit to how many times you can push an alien out an airlock.

Something based in a city could be really cool. I like the idea of the aliens starting to terraform the planet, but does that get a bit close to 40k tyranid territory?

1 Like

I watched it at the weekend, definitely better than most of the sequels but seemed a bit like the ā€œforce awakens ā€œ of the series.
Looks amazing, incredible sets and props and nostalgia but man they crammed far too much in to it all . Major flaws were the speed of the face hugger to xenomorph - was literally 2/3 mins?? When it took over a day in alien and the end hybrid ?? and why the station was just left with all that prize research that the wayland corp seemed so incredibly desperate to get in every film.
Rooks deep fake was really off putting , couldnā€™t help being distracted by the teeth.

Andy was a great character, the actor change up was so creepy it was great .

Overall it was ok but could have been so much better .

Prefer alien 3 for a storyline

1 Like

There is the series coming out soon , was filmed over here , my prop making boss missed out on the bid for that job . Would have been amazing to work on .

Should fill that itch for aliens on a colony

2 Likes

Warhammer show?

1 Like

I thought that was done really well, that sort of thing isnā€™t easy to pull off either.

1 Like

Alien:Earth is the series no?

The actor that played David impressed me so much i watched that Rye Lane film he was in.
That was really enjoyable too.

1 Like

Yeah but I think itā€™s a prequel to Alien rather than the post-Aliens timeline the comics explored