Film Thread

I really think it would have been amazing if he just said “Get away from her…” and left the audience hanging forever by not finishing that line.
A callback, but a demonstration that things don’t need to be tied totally to the past.

Worth seeking out. It’s out there to download via torrent, etc.
It’s worth it for the character building alone. Paul McGanns character is evil in that…rather than a random odd bit part guy. Theres a lot more setup so the stakes feel higher…Definintely a superior version which feels better paced, even being 30 mins longer.

See above!

Yep. Too much lore building and trying to answer every detail in the original films…They would have been far better just being kept simpler.
The Alien universe version of MidiChlorians. Ugh.

1 Like

Why does nobody like Alien vs Predator?

It’s so bad it’s good, not starship troopers good but pretty easy way to burn 90 minutes

1 Like

Awful CG in that if I remember correctly but if you’re in the mood then I don’t see why not.

1 Like

My god I cringed and the groans in the cinema around me summed it up .

Only way they could have done it is if they went full Ice cube on it and lost the “you”

Alien 3 also gets too much hate, I’d love to see that assembly cut certain people seem to rave about.

I have a soft spot for Alien 3, and the Assembly cut adds to the characters while also giving it more of a religious connection through some different shots and choices. Which, considering the original plan for the film, seems fitting.

I only learned last week that they got so close to filming this instead that the sets used we’re repurposed monastery sets made to look more industrial, hence some of the archway styling looking almost church like

Agreed, it was good b-movie fun - don’t think I’ve watched other one though

2 Likes

Just got home from Alien Romulus. Totally agree with @BvS, probably third best film overall. Might even be on par with 2

It felt so much like Alien - a horror film set on a spaceship.

Moved really quickly too, no lagging. Unlike Covenant and Prometheus the characters made sense. They were fleshed out and likeable.

Andy was fantastic. Both the actor and the character

Good to see he could be around for the next one. Just aced the role

1 Like

I liked Alien v Predator as well. Some good ideas in there, good bashy b movie. Doesn’t it end with a shot of a hybrid Predalien or something?

Enjoyed bits of Promethius but it ended up boring.

OG Alien is unfuckablewith obviously

2 Likes

Alien 1 and 2 all the way

2 Likes

Just watched Kinds of Kindness

Fucking long but quite good

The terminator 4k restoration is in cinemas, just been to see it and it’s still soo good , especially on the big screen.
Holds up really well and the 4k looks amazing.

Highly recommend it if you’ve only ever seen it on the tv .

2 Likes

Trap (M Knight film)

Not great, starts off promising, descends into stupidity - Josh Hartnett should get to play more roles like that though, he’s the stand out

Ooohhhh……biggest I’ve seen it is on my home TV which is pretty substantial. I don’t think my Mrs understands why I rate the Tech Noir club scene so much. Then there’s the destruction of the Police station. So good.

Was saying to my brother who was watching too how good the tech noir scene is , you see so much more on the cinema, the out fits , hairstyles, set and then the small details of the slow mo interactions . So well done .
And yeah the police station scenes are so good too . The banter and grimy sets make it seem really genuine.

Factory scene at the end is so good at that size too , endoskeleton puppetry and animatronics still hold up .

Also over the next 2 months is 75 years of Batman , so all the films showing . Can’t wait to see dark knight again

Plus starwars Sundays begin this this September. Booked in for new hope and most of all the best one , Empire . Never saw them in the big screen. Gonna be goose bumps all the way

2 Likes

Yeah, the whole of The Terminator is great!

I saw the re-release of New Hope and Empire which had been fucked with at the cinema in ‘97ish. Missed Return just through lack of time though. I love the opening of Ep 3 with the battle for Caruscant, that’s a guilty pleasure that one!

Gonna go tomorrow night. Looks like I’ll be the only nerd in the showing at this rate haha

Oh fuck, the gun shop scene too haha.

1 Like

Dad from gremlins

1 Like

Watched Beverly Hills Cops I, II, III and the new one (curiously not called IV) over the last few weekends.

Going to be annoying to watch films from now on where you have to pay attention to boring shit like plots.

3 Likes

Really? Not seen Gremlins for a couple of years now. Its a Christmas movie haha