Film Thread

Now near the end, but had to pause to come here and say I’ve just seen Shooter McGavin.

:helicopter:
:golfing_man:

Continue…

1 Like

Rad. The pieces of shit line still gets me. It’s funny someone asked why a song on the Dickies vid sounded so familiar. It was used in Happy Gilmore but I thought that won’t be what they’re referring to, haha…

1 Like

Went to see the new Joker film over the weekend, and for all the bad press I enjoyed it. Not gonna be in a rush to see it again but it was a good film.

I am probably massively overthinking it, but I have a theory that it was totally the opposite to what fans thought it would/should be, in the same way that Arthur Fleck ends up being totally different to how fans of Joker saw him. In a sort of meta type way. If so, it’s pretty genius. However it’s probably not

POSS SPOILER:

Watched the new Ghibli tonight with my boys (The boy and the Heron).
I’d not seen anything about it before now so at the start I was expecting it to be a nice feely one about a boy who befriends a heron because he felt alone…
Nope, They threw all the ghibliness they could at this one. crazyness.

Yeah wasn’t expecting the Heron to be so freaky. Great film though.

Anyone see Megalopolis? I understand the bad reviews it’s getting but I think it was an incredibly entertaining and weird cinema experience and love that it exists. Basically does everything you shouldn’t do in a film

I saw Megalopolis and I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It was beautifully filmed, inconsistently plotted, wonderfully weird and incredibly self indulgent all at the same time.

That said I agree, it is great it exists and just does whatever it wants.

2 Likes

Did someone in the cinema talk to the screen? Been interested to go but doubt I’ll find time. Heard a couple of negative reviews so far.

Gonna watch that this weekend. I love how much of a comeup anime has had over here. I remember it was mostly only skaters and niche nerds who were into it in the early 90s. I guess we all grew up with Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and stuff but being able to watch a huge variety of shows on Netflix is a treat.

I do prefer the older anime style, but I’m watching the One Piece anime series with my kids at the moment and it’s absolutely amazing. Still got about 900 episodes to watch too!

Me and my bro were mad about Battle of the planets.

2 Likes

Nah just had a recorded voice over. Think was a few select showings in the US that had this.

Interesting interview here (maybe not so much if you’ve not seen it)
But talks about what he actually wanted to do with that part which sounds bonkers

2 Likes

This sounds brilliant

1 Like

I agree that having some idea of what to expect can enhance the experience

Affirmative.

Oh, wow. Sightseers are Prevenge are brilliant.
Keen on this!

1 Like

Just watched A Man Named Otto.

Grumpy old Tom Hanks is an influencer.

(Coincidentally, I think I have something in my eyes)

2 Likes

I cried at Godzila minus one last night. Didn’t think i would evr get emotional about a guant monster movie.

Saw the actress Berenice Bejo interviewed on TV and they mentioned her new Netflix film Under Paris (Sous la Seine) which wants to be a modern day take on Jaws.

It’s pretty farcical. Mad idea. Madder CGI shark attacks. Maddest ending.

Interested to see if they manage a part deux?