Film Thread

Fuck…I need to go see that.

I watched a film called Captive State last night. Or the night before. I forget.
John Goodman is in it.
If you are looking for some dystopian sci-fi, it’s pretty good. Not amazing, but if you can make it through, the payoff is worth it. Just suffers from pacing issues…

Saw Colour from Space. Pretty mental. A modern B-movie, not exactly classy cinema but you get your money’s worth

Finally saw it at the weekend and I have to agree, there’s just so much in human nature that it covers. I’ll probably watch it a few more times once I’ve recovered from how intense it is!

1 Like

Just watched Midsommar and thought it was excellent.

It’s shite. Haven’t you seen The Wicker Man?

1 Like

Florence Pugh is excellent in it

1 Like

It all just falls down in the final act.

…and yeah, it’s like a shit Wicker Man.

1 Like

I set my expectation low because of comments i read on here and was pleasantly surprised. It was beautifully shot and the story was totally fine.

So we’re only allowed to watch one type of a genre film, duly noted.

Started Dolittle because surely it couldn’t be ‘that bad’. Couldn’t handle his bizarre accent and gave up.

1 Like

If you’ve got the choice, you should watch the good one instead of the shite one.

Some quality trash

Nothing trash about that film its pure quality. Soundtrack is incredible

Yeah it’s great. I think fair to say it’s pretty trashy, or pulpy!

Yeah pulpy is a better word for sure

We had a new TV the otehr day and cancelled sky so we have way more options to watch shit now. The kids wanted to watch Justice League. What the fuck was that shite? How the hell did they film it? It looked like a Channel 5 afternoon film. Way too crisp making it look so bad. Films are meant to look unreal, like an unobtainable sheen makes everything look like you’re watching something meaningful, not stood right next to Batman on some fake grass while some crisp cgi come crashing down on you.
I feel similarly with HD skate footage to be honest but I guess i’m getting used to that. I couldn’t get used to action films made like this at all. Reminds me of when I saw the Hobbit in HD thingy at the cinema, utter wank. This Justice League thing was wank fullstop, not just the (too much) picture quality, at first I thoght I was watching a cheaper copy of the film, not the proper deal with real actors.
Anyway, sorry, just remembered about it and needed to rant.

What settings have you got your TV on? Not seen that film so no idea but was watching something at a mates and he had this on and looked like a soap opera

2 Likes

Oh I dunno, i’ll look into it. It didn’t look smooth particularly, no effect either just really clear making everything look hyper real resulting in it looking fake and amateur, weirdly.

Yeah, it’ll definitely be motion smoothing, it bascially takes the 30fps input and then interpolates to insert frames between them giving 60fps. It is a very subtle but discombobulating effect. There should be a Movie mode that knocks it off and then google the best settings for your set.

2 Likes

Adding to on what @markg said.

The Hobbit was filmed & mastered out at 48fps (films are normally 24fps) which as you noticed yourself, absolutely does look odd on a TV - this is due to screen refresh rates, which for a TV is usually either 25Hz or 30Hz, compared to 50 or 60Hz on a computer monitor or projector, depending on the model. Watching the same film on a monitor or projector would mean you wouldn’t see that effect - oddly, you get a reverse of this when you see the occasional HD, 60fps skate clip on YT. Even on a monitor, it looks a little odd compared to what you’re used to.

That’s crazy if that’s what it is, it didn’t seem like there was anything/frames etc, just looked ultra real, I guess if that’s the result effect to this then I find it weird. Anyway, i’ll be finding that setting but I won’t watch the film again ha.
I guess it’s like music, I hate high bitrate music, it sounds way too clean and spaced, makes it sound clinical. Same thing I guess.