Film Thread

I watched Greta Gerwig’s Little Women last night. Everyone said it was snubbed at the Oscars but I found the production of the film pretty irritating. Anyone else seen it who could school me on it please?

It was alright, I usually love a non-linear storyline but it wasn’t blatantly obvious that the time had changed. So a bit confusing. Didn’t help I was on my phone for most of it though.

Yeah, that doesn’t help. That colour palette choice was so gnarly the contrast was throwing me off.

It was charming, well acted and the relationship amongst the sisters felt lived and real. Few of the reasons I thought it was great

Yeah no qualms with the acting or its original works, Laura Dern is the shit and Florence Pugh killed it too.

I was more wondering about the production side to the film.

Was Danny Dyer in it?

Sounds a bit like a British Funny Games.

People turn their noses up at the American remake of that but I really rated it, though I saw it before I saw the original

Just watched Calm With Horses (also called Shadow of Violence confusingly). Recommended - similar in some ways to Dead Mans Shoes.

Went to see Tenet.
Definitely got issues (convoluted storyline and there’s several points you literally cant hear what they are saying) but visually it’s all quite amazing. About halfway through you kind of give up trying to follow what’s happening and just go with it.

Sounds like a fcking nightmare.

Was it actually good?

It was really good.
But yeah, a fair few bits that didn’t make sense.

Saw Tenet today.

Extremely well crafted, exciting to watch, well acted…and absolute nonsense.

Nailed it.

I’ve just discovered that Cannibal Holocaust is casually available to watch for free on Prime, might give it a miss though…

Watched Project Power last night.

It’s edited quite weird, the opening scene is basically “these superpower drugs exist, you know that from the trailer anyway so we’ll just whack that in RIGHT at the start”. Then the pacing goes super slow but it picks up 45 mins in and it’s pretty fun from there.

But it can’t seem to decide whether it wants to be a lighthearted family style superhero jaunt or a semi-gritty, violent crime film. One minute Jamie Foxx is having some wholesome moment with his teenage sidekick, the next he’s stabbing some dude to death with a set of scissors.

Although the main problem with it is that the premise itself offers up too many “hang on a minute…” type moments that it’s quite hard not to question it or get fully absorbed as it goes it.

Still, Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon Levitt put on good performances and it’s kind of a laugh overall. 7/10

Just saw Tenet, all the fuss about the sound being blown out is very true. Really cool in that half of Tallinn was shut down whilst they were filming, most of the city shots are about 100m from my old place in the city, very cool.

But yeah, will need to watch it about 4 more times, then have someone with sock puppets sit me down like a three year old and explain to me what was going on, and then watch it another 3 times before I can fully appreciate it.

But yeah, mad.

If anyone fancies a zombie out, not having to think to much about it film, I enjoyed this. Better than most comedies these days. Kind of like Groundhog Day but other people can get stuck in the day too and explores a slightly darker humoured side of being trapped in the same day again and again…

How did you watch it? I quite like the look of that.

DM’d

Watched this last night. Thanks for the recommendation!
Solid.

1 Like