Film Thread

What you on about Les!

Really not sure about how this is shaping up, to expect a film to be exactly like the book is almost always impossible but this is miles off how Iā€™d picture it.

I like how he is a subtle bad ass. I hope Iā€™m wrong but I think this one will be John Wick turned up to Hollywood 11. Each explosion bigger than the last and each case scene involving more assassins than the last one, just five minutes ago. So many dead dogs by the end.

Watched John Wick 3: Spoilers below.

It is basically a set up for John Wick 4. No real ending. Halle Berryā€™s charchter is good thankfully. Jerome Flynn playing an Italian gangster was odd casting. They could of dealt with whats going to happen in 4, in this one easily. Like I said, I kind of felt cheated.

Paw Patrol - Might Pups reviewed by the Irish Times through a Foucalt / social struggle point of philosphical view.

1 Like

Watched Mid 90s expecting it to be a terrible skate movie, it was actually legit as fuck and a full on nostalgia trip. Really enjoyed it.

Yes, saw it on the plane - wouldnā€™t have watched it otherwise. Was actually quite stoked that it placed me in my own youth, regardless of the fact that itā€™s set on the other side of the world. It shows weā€™re all the same, I guessā€¦

1 Like

Steady on lol

To me it was just ā€˜fineā€™ there was nothing amazing about it but at the same time nothing super cringey or bad. Just felt the whole thing was a bit flat.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I liked about it, itā€™s nothing amazing, not supposed to be, itā€™s just a kid growing up around skateboarding at the same time we were (maybe a bit before).

Some of it was a bit cringey but I guess thatā€™s the Cali effectā€¦ I think if a skateboarder can watch it and be taken back to similar days in their life, itā€™s a success.

I watched Mid 90s today. I enjoyed a lot of it - the details, the fact that its probably the most legit representation of skateboarding ive seen in a hollywood film, the whole vibe of seeing 50+ skaters at a spot really made me recall those early days of being 14, post THPS where the local spots would be absolutely packed out. And the overall direction and cinematography had a nice tone to it.

But overall it felt like something was missing - it lacked a big final payoff. The main point that the kid finally found his identity and a family he could identity with was fine, but it seemed a bit undercooked. Contrast that with Kids, where the skateboarding lifestyle of the kids was ultimately the secondary narrative to the dangerous life choices they were making, with Mid 90s it felt like Jonah spent so much time focusing on portraying the social skateboarding aspect of the characters lives, he sort of forgot why he was supposed to be doing it.

1 Like

This looks cool, showing at the Sheffield Doc Fest soon - Los Reyes skatepark in Chile seen through the eyes of two dogs

John Wick 3 was amazing, a great variety of action and some well placed comic relief as well.

I think 2 is my overall favourite so far though.

The first John Wick is still my favourite of the lot. I actually liked 3 the least.
Not that it was bad, I just preferred the first two.

I felt like a right nerd for clocking the nod to the first Assassinā€™s Creed game as well.

Iā€™m looking forward to John Wick 4 anyway. Apparently thereā€™s a TV show in the works based around the Continental too but Reeves is only making a couple of appearances.

Over the last few weeks Iā€™ve also been really stoked at how many of my friends, who I wouldā€™ve expected to be pretty dismissive of a film like John Wick, actually fucking love it.

1 Like

Like a prequel? When John Wick was staying there at the high of his assassins days, before he got married and a dog, that would be dope. Plus John Wick is going to kill him in 4.

My Mrs watches loads of Korean stuff recently.
Iā€™ve seen a few bits and find the style refreshing.
The stories are told in interesting ways, be that horror, comedy or drama.
I watched a film the other day, a corny film, but it was quite fun.
It was called Always Be My Maybe.
Keanu was in that.
It came as quite a surprise.
He plays himself and how he gets roped into the story is quite fun.

Have you seen Kingdom?

The new Jim Jarmusch zombie film looks properly shit.

On the other hand the docu Minding the Gap is on iplayer and is amazing. Watch it.

I saw Beyond the Curve last night.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s been mentioned on here before, but the last laser experiment and the last words uttered as the credits start to roll is fantastic.
1 Like

Yeah that ones brilliant. Think it was brought up on the old forum