Film Thread

Watched All Good Things the other night. It fell flat in a few places and just kind of plodded along.
Some lovely camerawork and editing in parts, but it was one of those films that I expected more from.

Also the Midsommar director’s cut is fucking brilliant (minus one of the scenes, and one of the added lines)

Sick, did they cut it down to five minutes?

1 Like

Blasphemy!

I’d looked forward to that so much. Seemed right up my street, and I’m a massive Wicker Man fan.

It was on par with the Wicker Man remake for me. Just didn’t seem very clever. Maybe I went into hoping for too much but it felt pretty dumb, it was really predictable (occult/folkloric movies really need a fucked up twist, I think) and the cast were incredibly annoying.

Where’s this on at?

I’m an Ari Aster fanboy, so I am biased/have clouded judgement. It’s a pretty straightforward story, and you can see what’s going to happen before it even happens.
The very opening frame is a painting of the entire story!

1 Like

I got it for Xmas, I think it was purchased on the A24 site.

Dang I can only see it on ‘hard media’.
My brother still buys and only watches films on blu-ray.
I don’t even have any form of player.
Looks like I’m popping round yours then.

1 Like

Can anyone reccommend me a good/weird/existential/arthouse horror-or-thriller film?
examples of horrors I’ve watched over lockdown and really liked:

• The Shining
  • Carnival of Souls
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Mandy
  • Misery
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock
  • Rosemary’s Baby
  • Don’t Look Now
  • The Wicker Man
  • Carrie
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • The Babadook
  • The Lighthouse
  • The VVitch
  • The Thing
  • Onibaba
  • David Lynch

ones that were interesting to see but I liked less:

• Hereditary (loved the harrowing family stuff. ending was a bit too daft for me)
  • Midsommar (not believable in the slightest, is that meant to be the point?? the only way I can buy any of it is that the whole trip is a kind of trauma response/psychosis experienced by the girlfriend in the bathroom near the beginning. She never goes on the trip and has a proper breakdown + just imagines a revenge fantasy/healing process instead. V daft otherwise)
  • Get Out (shoehorned metaphors, fake Heath-Ledger-as-Joker brother, daftness towards the end)
  • Suspiria (nice colours but a bit dull. they liked that Goblin theme, didn’t they?)

ps. I love how the recurring motif of this thread is buildafire saying how shit Midsommar is.

1 Like
1 Like

Brawl in Cell Block 99 was good, guess more action rather than thriller if I have to label it, but well worth a watch.

Am yet to watch Bone Tomahawk or Dragged Across Concrete but those are by the same director so hopefully as good.

3 Likes

Thought Eden Lake was brilliant, and could be up your street.

The “loutish youths” are genuinely believable, which is a great change for a film. They’re not monsters, just horrible, believable people.

2 Likes
1 Like

I recommend you watch Zootropolis or something after all that.

3 Likes

Yes and yes.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed both of those, hadn’t heard of the one you mentioned. Nice.

1 Like

Recently watched the excellent The Terror on iplayer and it reminded me of this film from ages ago. Cannibalism thriller/dark comedy, that rarest of breed.

1 Like

It Follows, The Cube, Manhunter, The Wailing, Raw, Cache, Benny’s Video all fit the bill if you’ve not seen them

It Follows is especially good

2 Likes

Cheers for all of these recommendations! Loads of stuff I’ve not seen :slight_smile:
Will obvs be spacing all of this out with Trailer Park Boys and Pixar stuff, I’m not a total nutter. Ace suggestions though, thanks.