Film Thread

Watched the Surge because of here. Watched it over a few days because my attention span is shot to fuck, but did anybody say how the scene where he goes to get the cable is all in one take? Can’t imagine there was much of a budget to make it look like that rather than just doing it.

Felt more like Taxi Driver and Naked than Falling Down though. Some shots were definitely homage. The bit with the TV was well Taxi Driver.

I liked it when he went into the wedding and got the inappropriate best man to shut the fuck up then went for a bop on the dance floor

That was the only bit that bugged me. What could he possibly have said to get him to shut it, and to be allowed to stay?

Actually paying for the hotel in cash was annoying. Even though it wasn’t that fancy, I can’t think when hotels last didn’t need a card. Which we know he doesn’t have.

I quite like not knowing sometimes. Kill List left me infuriated for weeks afterwards but now I can see that you have to stop trying to figure it out and just watch it

Had Kill List recommended to me on the basis of liking Dead Man’s Shoes so much, but couldn’t get into it at all.

Eden Lake is a brilliant British horror/thriller. The young people in it are believable, which I guess is what trips up a lot of directors.

The actual film isn’t as ‘explosive’ as the trailer, obviously.

1 Like

Watched this yesterday, just because it happened to be the only thing on at my local cinema. It was wonderful. Never thought I’d enjoy a documentary about Italian truffle hunters so much, but I was smiling all the way through. Really recommend it.

1 Like

Used to love Eden Lake.

Man, Fassbender is such a great actor it bums me out he’s been given such poor roles the last few years. Dude needs a better agent

I thought Kill List was great when it first appeared - but rewatched it earlier this year and wasn’t feeling it at all. Odd how some things age badly.

Fortunately for me, I don’t know who anybody is.

Kill List- Fucking awful
Dead Mans Shoes - Fucking Awesome

Eden Lake - Harrowing but good.

1 Like

The last really pretty good horror film I watched was probably Don’t Breathe.

I liked this more than ‘Get Out’.

1 Like

Watched this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot, really well made and some great bits but a lot of it felt staged? Especially everything with the truffle buyer being sneaky, was a nice little snapshot but not sure how good a documentary it was

Yeah I did think that too, but I don’t think it’s really trying to be a proper documentary,. More a series of vignettes.

1 Like

I watched this on Tuesday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some awesome acting and tasteful camerawork/editing in it, too.

It’s based on a Norwegian film which came out a couple of years ago. Not seen this remake but the original was really good…gripping.

1 Like

It’s a good film but man is it brutal and depressing. In a different way to Dead Man’s Shoe which is also good but brutal and depressing hah!
Dead Man’s Shoe’s had a sad but satisfying conclusion but man the ending to Eden Lake…

I’ll have to check that out. It’s a bit odd to do a remake when the original is only a few years old.

1 Like

Went to see Bond yesterday…not sure if it was good or not, but then also not sure if it was really a Bond film or not

It was enjoyable from a “watch shooting/punching/daft car and bike stunts” perspective

1 Like

Still more believable than actual reality.

2 Likes

It’s a shame everyone’s attention span is fucked and they need to put a stunt in every two minutes. I’d love it if they did a Bond set back in the 60’s or 70’s where he doesn’t have the internet and it was all about the Rolex, sharp suits, classic cars, fags, Martinis, a Beretta or two and some old fashioned punch ups/judo throws/neck chops. Not everyone being an MMA/Krav Maga expert.

I reckon Tom Hardy would nail it. A slightly camp and ridiculous baddie with some henchman like Jaws/OddJob but keep it well away from Austin Powers territory. Could work for sure.

5 Likes