Film Thread

It’s not sci fi. It’s just an old school adventure story with a large dose of WW2 mission movie chucked in. Kind of the dambusters crossed with the goonies. Not sure if that really sells it…

Holy shit The Many Saints of Newark was shit. So disappointing

I remember not really being into Mulholland but that was ages ago, should give it another try.

I’m not really a Lynch fan, but that scene is hands down the scariest single moment I’ve ever experienced in cinema, simply because it was totally unexpected and totally unnecessary.

In fact, fuck Lynch for doing that to me

1 Like

Second scariest moment would be the scene in Rec (Spanish version) where he puts the camcorder up through the attic hatch and pans it around.

Absolute no thank you

4 Likes

I tried to hide the fact that I found Star Wars films to be very long and boring when I was a kid, because everyone else seemed to love them. I went to watch the first of the new ones (Phantom Menace) with a girl I was seeing at the time and we walked out about half an hour after it started.

I still don’t really get the hype but I can definitely handle a long boring film nowadays so maybe it’s time to rewatch them. Just not sure if I should make my kids watch them with me or not. They have my genetics so will probably get bored and ruin it for me.

1 Like

Star Wars is bang average in every respect but fanboys can’t accept it because: 1970’s and Empire etc

3 Likes

Not everything is for everyone, just enjoy what you enjoy.

3 Likes

I think in some respects Star Wars was pretty average but in others it was just miles ahead of anything that had been seen up to that point. It’s not just nostalgia, people went fucking nuts over it at the time as well.

1 Like

I like Star Wars but I’d certainly be far from offended if any of my mates said that weren’t into it. The new ones have been very average with the exception of Rogue One I’d say, I enjoyed that.

3 Likes

My favourite was the first of the last 3 with Daisy Ridley and Boyega.

It was great fun.

I mean it wouldn’t make my top 10 or anything but as a kid I really loved it (star wars)

Just pissed me off with how bland the whole thing was. It didnt really do anything with any of the characters, the story was meh and the actors felt like they were just doing impressions of the originals. Absolutely terrible

1 Like

I can’t watch action films of any sort anymore, esp any superhero or action sci-fi stuff as everything seems to be constantly shaky closeups action-wise (obv due to the soundstage/cgi shit), and you can’t actually see what’s going on. It’s like action cinema has gone some sort of cinema version of a Strobeck derivative.

There’s no more walking away from real stuff blowing up and it’s really pissing on my betamax copy of Rambo.

I enjoyed spaceballs a lot more than star wars when I last gave it a go back in the late 80’s, but I was 6 years old so that’s expected.

4 Likes

I’d like to bring up some notable exceptions to this which are the recent Mission Impossible films, the action looks so much more real as Cruise does a lot more of the stunts himself than most actors will do. The last one Fallout had some incredible sequences.

1 Like

Re Star Wars - loved it as a kid because it was only on every now and again at bank holiday weekends or something, like Connery & Moore era Bond films. It fell out of mainstream favour in the late 80s to mid 90s and then there was a huge surge in popularity for Star Wars as a whole off the back of Phantom Menace, largely to sell toys to kids. The thing is, the toys all look pretty cool, Boba Fett being the prime example. I totally get why people don’t like it, given the surrounding cult-like adoration it gets, as it just a western set in space. Still, I can’t work out how some people have avoided watching them as they’re absolutely ubiqutious over the past 45 years.

One other thing is that up to the mid 90s, adults wouldn’t play video games (PS1 changed all that), and from my perspective, nor did they seem to do much outside of work, home, tv and the pub. Pop culture and a a greater focus on leisure as a whole has changed all that, starting with this generation. I fucking love checking out the latest batch of Transformers, Gundams and assorted collectibles in Forbidden Planet, etc. with my son

Any of the Taken or Jason Bourne films are guilty of this in their fight scenes. Compare those shaky, 8 frame long, extreme close-ups with any martial arts film, like some of the classic Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee movies, even Kung Fu Hustle for how to do it right. Longer cuts, coreography and movement all in camera. It’s similar to skating when filming lines - gotta show that complete, uncut line to show that the skater did all 5 tricks in a row.

The new Shang Chi film is a good execution of Marvel doing a Kung Fu movie.

1 Like

I get what they were trying to do with the Bourne films etc. to make the fights look a bit more brutal and less choreographed. I think it works where it fits but then just became overused. Rather like how Saving Private Ryan tried to show the action as deliberately disorientating, confusing and terrifying. It was effective I thought and it made sense in that film. But in a fun superhero film the exact same thing is just annoying.

3 Likes

I think the Bourne films get a pass for that, as I’m pretty sure they were one of the first to do it. At least the first one I heard being talked about.

Still think this one from Daredevil is one of my favorite fight scenes. Because of the realism and how everyone gets tired and sloppy.

2 Likes

You can’t beat a good hallway fight scene. I love the one in the original Old Boy…

9 Likes

We had star wars on vhs taped off the telly for so many years, with all the ads etc, shake n vac, weetabix skinheads, milk tray etc. Rad

2 Likes