Film Thread

Still protesting toy story 4. It doesn’t need to, and shouldn’t, exist.

Inside out gets me every time. Amazing film.

2 Likes

Up and Wall-E were good, not watched either in a fair while though.

1 Like

Bing Bong!

1 Like

10/10.

3 Likes

It’s popular because it looks exotic. The storylines are all over the place.

Oh if we’re doing confessions I haven’t seen a studio ghibli film I haven’t hated.
I know I should like them and each one I’m thinking ‘this will be it’, but it never is.

2 Likes

I like them, probably mostly for the designs of the creatures and stuff but I always find the time passes nicely. Also my daughter loves them too and she’s a critic completely unbounded by whether or not something is meant to be cool.

Grave of the fireflies. But only because its way too gut wrenchingly sad.

1 Like

Have any of yous seen “The King and the Mockingbird”? 1950s French animated film (completed in 1980s) that influenced Miyazaki and prompted him to start Ghibli. The storyline is dead simple but the atmosphere is amazing. Melancholic surrealist but also funny, surprising and heartfelt. Lots of good dreamlike architecture, too. I really love it.

7 Likes

I haven’t, I’ll look out for it

My wife walked into my house as I was watching the credits to that and she thought something terrible had happened.

In a way it had. An amazing film that I’ll never watch again.

1 Like

I like a good Ghibli, there are few which I think are a bit overrated though.

1 Like

Totoro, Ponyo, The Cat Returns…there’s some gold in there.

2 Likes

Rewatching Scream.

I saw Scary Movie before I saw Scream which sort of ruined its effectiveness for me, but that opening sequence with Drew Barrymore is still an all time horror moment.

3 Likes

I thought the new scream was a remake at first (as they’ve just remade I Know What You Did Last Summer), as the first scene looks exactly like the Drew Barrymore one, with a modern update, fortunately it’s a continuation on the from the others…

1 Like

I’ll probably watch this, but without the meta/subversive aspect which the first one had, it’ll just end up being another generic slasher film.

I just finished the original, and it holds up well actually.

2 Likes

Just watched The Dead Don’t Die.

It has an amazing cast but its somehow less than the sum of its parts.

1 Like

Yeah weird one.
Seems like they were just having a laugh.

2 Likes

Yeah, Adam Driver saying ‘ghouls’ was probably only funny bit in that film

1 Like