Film Thread

Saw the new Dune at the cinema and was largely bored out of my mind. Felt like a 3hr long trailer, dead “epic” but with no character building or story tension. I liked the Marlon Brando baddie in his tub of goop though.

2 Likes

Watching IT c2. Like the protagonists I keep on recalling memories. For me it’s when I read the book in the late ‘80’s.

1 Like

Any good? I haven’t watched the second one of those, to me the first part just felt far too different from the book so I wasn’t bothered. Might still give it a go now it’s streamable.

I was on the ale and started to get a bit bored if truth be told. Some bits made me recall the book but Henry Bowers’ opening was far simpler than what I remember I remember. The restaurant scene felt different from what I remember too.

Most memorable bit was a brief cameo from King tbh… :laughing:

Picked up where I left off. Enjoying the madness for what it’s worth.

just watched last night in soho.
if you’re not an Edgar wright fan you probably won’t like it.
if you are an Edgar wright fan you probably won’t like it.

1 Like

Started The Harder They Fall on Netflix and its not good

Didn’t know it was one of his. I like the Cornetto ones but Baby Driver did nothing for me, is it more like that?

Nah, he’s gone 60s horror thriller, there’s some good bits in it but as a whole it’s just a bit messy.

1 Like

I watched Scum last night and got drunk whilst doing so. Grim.

1 Like

Finally got round to seeing Dune.

Nailed it. Was a bit nervous going in as it’s one of my favourite books, it’s almost exactly how I visualised it when I read it. Fucking epic, and I usually hate the word epic.

Mad that it’s 2.5 hours and only half of the book… and there’s 6 (original) books to get through. Gonna be a big franchise, I’m looking forward to it.

Watched it last night, what a visual treat , just stunning , sci fi narcos and I liked it a lot. Probably helped that I had a nice heathy dose of shrooms to watch it. Fucking made for this film .

3 Likes

I’ve never read the book despite meaning to for ages; will I be missing out if I go and see it without having read it?

Apols. if this has already been answered, asking on impulse innit

Tricky one. I think it’s easier to enjoy it if you’ve read the book. But obviously I’ve never seen it without having read it.

There’s a LOT of additional lore and politics and religion etc that the film doesn’t cover in detail (though it does do a pretty good job), so it helps to know it. Not that you really need it, it’s just cool.

But it’s a real shame to not see it in the cinema on the big screen, it’s massive, and the visuals are stunning. And it’s a big book so it won’t be easy to finish in time to catch it in the cinema. So on balance probably best to see it there while you can.

Depends how many shrooms you have

I’ve never read it and I loved it. You got the gist of everything pretty easily - it dives straight into setting the scene. 2.5 hours and it felt like 90 mins.

Surprisingly, the group I went with either didn’t enjoy it or thought it was average (some had read it, some hadnt). I thought it was great and want to go see it again

I have tried reading Dune multiple times and couldn’t hack it.

Then I read somewhere recently that the first 200 pages are boring and then it gets good, so might give it one more shot sometime soon, as it’s not out here until December.

Thanks for the advice fellas, I might miss it at the cinema anyway because we’re moving house on Friday and it’s going to be a bit hectic there for the near future, but it’s worth knowing in case I can. Either that or I’ll just read the book like I’ve been meaning to.

I really didn’t enjoy the film and will most likely give part 2 a miss when it comes out, but am still keen to see the earlier panned/failed Lynch version. If I don’t enjoy that either then I’ll probs not read the book.

Pretty sure I got to just before 200 pages before I bailed on the book. May have to give it another go.

Loved the film.

1 Like