Film Thread

Found the actual astronaut.

Was waiting for that…

Without giving too much away he travels across the distance of four planets, a few billion miles, with a cut shot! No montage or massively extending wide shot to hint at the distance, no obligatory computer saying how long it’s going to take before entering “Hypersleep” he just instantaneously arrives at his destination with a bit of stubble…

1 Like

If we didn’t have the ‘like’ facility here I would absolutely reply to this with:

Hahahaha!

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be what hypersleep really felt like? Close your eyes, then open them and 6 months has passed.

That’s the issue though, he doesn’t appear to go in to “Hypersleep” it just cuts from his start point to him landing and he looks like he’s been on a long haul flight. In a way I quite like the removal of the cliche, but it’s where I would have inserted a monologue and shown some travel perhaps, being a well known film maker and all…

Like some Indiana Jones line flying over a space map, that would of been cool, hehe.

1 Like

the most disappointing film of the year

Clearly they haven’t seen Midsommar.

Is that shit?
I wanted to see it as a mate kinda described it as kids being drugged at a festival and it being all woozy/trippy/psychological/horror etc. I expected something more modern like some Colundi festival with some creepy nutters, then I saw the trailer and it was more Wicker man. Nothing like I imagined but still wanted to see/feel to see the awkward trippyness but have not gotten around to it.

Midsommar was great, albeit if someone said they didn’t like it i could understand.

Thought it was absolute dogshit. Some American teenagers (of course) go on holiday to Sweden, to their mate’s commune. See how when Edward Woodward arrives on Summerisle, and there’s something just not quite right, something sinister and creepy? Well it’s fuck all like that. Everybody is singing and dancing, and there’s a couple of utterly unnecessary drug scenes. You can tell who the leaders are because they’ve got different dresses on. Oh yeah, and one of the guys was about to split up with his girlfriend. Not sure why, or how that matters.

So it’s them walking around this caricature version of The Wicker Man for two and a half hours, with incredibly predictable consequences. I won’t spoil the end since you deserve something for watching it all the way through, but I’ll tell you now that you won’t care what happens to those people because they’re so devoid of personality or character that we don’t even know who they are. And also they all die apart from the white girl.

Judith’s been hacked, surely.

Haha.

1 Like

Five minutes in and that’s basically what you’re wanting/expecting anyway.

1 Like

Didn’t like it then? :joy:

Saw the new Chris Morris film the other day, the day Shall Come, interested to see what people make of it. It’s no Four Lions but does have some interesting moments. Didn’t quite have the biting satire I’d hoped for, felt a bit too straightforward plot wise.

Seen the trailer and it just doesn’t appeal for some reason. Looks too broad and has that annoying Anna Kendrick in it

TL:DRrrrrrr

A shite attempt at The Wicker Man.

1 Like

It was definitely more satire than comedy. An easily explained guide too how American police agencies work (for Americans?). Don’t think I really laughed once. I’m guessing that it is a fine line to wanting to joke about terrorism in America and not offending Americans these days. The way the world is about humour at the moment.

I got a automated email from the Muslim Sisters of Eire while watching it. The paranoia is real.