Film Thread

It seems he made it as a direct criticism of the FB (aiiii) first and a comedy second.

I’d love to ask his opinion on loads of stuff!

Some shady shit going on there for sure. The last ten minutes were harsh.

He explains it in the C4 interview

don’t normally bother with the cinema but went to see the new Joker film last night. was brilliant, 100% what I hoped it would be and more. very dark and brutal. Phoenix was his outstanding. 10/10 would go and see again right now

I’m really interested to see this film, I’ve been following the reaction on twitter for a while and it’s really, really divided people and critics. It’s literally 50% this is a terrible, incel sympathising surface level super hero film vs 50% this is an amazing masterpiece, a biting critique of contemporary culture through the lense of a supervillian.

I mean even the combination of director (shit) and actor (brilliant) is intriguing.

Edit - supposed to be a reply to Naz above

1 Like

the various bad reviews from places like the Guardian is what made me interested. usually i go with the opposite of the Guardian critics

cannot believe people were labelling it “shallow”. it was deep

The whole review thing is explained quite good here at the start.

I can’t stand Mark Commode

I thought the kermode thing was pretty good

i also cannot stand him

Genuine question - why?

This is still the all time best review

3 Likes

Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is.
I do find it strange that sitting through films and then casting opinions about them is a livelihood.
Good gig if you can get it I suppose.

Lol. So you just don’t like… Critics. Not him.

There’s nothing to hate with him as far as I can tell. He’s extremely fair, even handed, not pretentious and goes to painful lengths to avoid spoilers.

2 Likes

Maybe so.
Certainly critiquing as a profession seems a bit odd.

As for Mr Kermode, there’s just something that irks me about him.

3/10

1 Like

Ha.
Did that critique of my response earn you a couple of bob?

He just annoys me. Can’t explain why. I’m probably quite an annoying person IRL and we magnetically repel each other

I rate Kermode. He’s unashamedly academic and I can see how people might find him pretentious but he really cares and totally knows his stuff.

2 Likes