Film Thread

Has no one mentioned the Amiga Dune game yet? Spent weeks on end playing that

Watched Scanners. Enjoyed it. Old school and a young Michael Ironside. Trying to go through those films that were around when I was a child but I never watched the whole film in one sitting.

1 Like

Watched that new Netflix western with Idris Elba last night. It was fine but I think my expectations were higher. It felt a bit like a Tarantino film but without the good writing.

Not to be completely dismissive - it was really well shot, the cast was great and there were some cool gunfights; but it was definitely a bit style over substance.

1 Like

I didnt finish it. I wasnt sure what it wanted to be. Ive loved LaKeith Stanfield since Atlanta and he was good in the bits i saw of him but it just didnt do much for me.

Seemed a bit Django if Django was from wish.

Yeah I rate Lakeith - always watchable.

1 Like

Just watched Knives Out, was a very silly and gripping murder-mystery comedy. All the actors looked like they were having great fun. Enjoyed it!

7 Likes

Saw Dune for the third time today

3 Likes

We took our boy to our local library today. Turns out they have a great film section.

Rented Neon Demon, A Quiet Place 2 and Nocturnal Animals.

third time today??

2 Likes

RIP Christopher Plummer.

Found Dune very disappointing. Bit gutted.

Very conventional Hollywood scifi with too many fight scenes, cliched characters and garbled hard to hear dialogue. I was hoping for something 2001-ish with a bit of philosophical mystery and trippiness.

I even took a bar of psilocybin chocolate with me to enhance the experience but I didn’t tuck in because I knew straight away I was onto a loser.

I guess being a big budget film they just have to deliver action these days. Depressing.

1 Like

I’d add that I haven’t read the book. It felt like maybe if I had it would add the required depth. It really does look good…it’s just a bit lacking in story.

Agree with that. The pacing felt all off as well. There was so much narration in the first 20 minutes or so and then it just fell into set piece after set piece.

1 Like

I loved Dune, though there was one bit of pacing that felt off, which was in the final third when they were walking through the desert. Felt like that section could have been halved.

One thing that was amazing was the costume and set design. Frankly unreal imo.

2 Likes

It was good but there were aspects of ‘Starship Troopers’ to it where they did what they did because it’s what CGI is good at.

1 Like

There was one line which did have me laughing tbf, when Brolin shouts ‘They’re not human, they’re BRUTAL’.
Real life lol.

Yeah it was awful and I wanted to like it

Watched last night and thought it had a great opening and brilliant editing. However, 0 character development and I felt like the last quarter of the film was really predictable and meh.

1 Like

Rocky 2 last night for lols.

ADRIEEEENNNN!!!

ROCKY!!!

2 Likes

My favourite film.

Might watch it now :joy: