Film Thread

Who are the baddies in this one?

I guess for political reasons itā€™s not stated but there is chemical weapons in a snowy mountain and so you would be led to believe itā€™s Russians. It doesnā€™t really matter, they donā€™t call the planes by their real names they call them 5th gen fighters.

More like not wanting to offend any juicy territoriesā€¦

Yeah, I canā€™t really think of anything wrong with the movie. Itā€™s a throwback to the original and done really well. I canā€™t wait to watch it again.

But does Judi Dench die or not?

2 Likes

Spolers. Judi Dench is Gooseā€™s daughter.

1 Like

Just got back from your top gun.
So fucking cheesy and the alpha masculinity was obviously too much (imagine going anywhere near that bar) but it was definitely entertaining.

1 Like

Went to watch Alex Garlands new film ā€˜Menā€™ last night. Didnā€™t exactly enjoy watching it whilst it was playing but it did end in a good conversation walking back from the cinema trying to decipher the symbolism/metaphorical storytelling in it.

A bit like Mother! in theme but less pretentious. Much preferred Ex Machina from him though. Errrr 6/10 ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Just saw the new Top Gun and Iā€™d say it really delivered a great balance of action, cheese and nostalgia. You just feel good coming out of the cinema afterwards. Would happily see it again.

1 Like

Wow didnā€™t know this. Havenā€™t seen new top gun either

Just watched it again. This time I did the 4DX thing with moving chairs. Was amazing.

1 Like

Oh I remembered one of the things about top gun that was good was where it went into detailing what Mach 10 does to your body and why itā€™s so shit. Usually you just see people pass out.

Watched the 2012 Tom Cruise Jack Reacher which was laugh out loud hilarious. Top quality entertainment.

Watched Along Came A Spider last night. Not quite a 90ā€™s banger but close enough. Preposterous from start to finish but exactly what I was after.

Jack Reacher is good.

1 Like

A family friend of my wifeā€™s who died a couple of years ago has fuckloads of all the Jack Reacher books. Theyā€™ve been offered to me but Iā€™m put off because they seem like a typical male power fantasy book, like Dan Brown, Clive Cussler etc stuff, where a middle-aged man saves the world and seduces a woman half his age. I havenā€™t seen the film either but is it like that? Or is it a bit more nuanced?

Thereā€™s a lot of that plus some Republican Dirty Harry vibes in there (imho). Across the book series he kills well over a hundred people, but they all deserved it of course.

Itā€™s on Netflix. Itā€™s very very funny. Never read the books but i recommend the film.

Just watched State Of Play and i have no clue wtf just happened. I was enjoying it but the tangled web got too knotted for my puny brain by the end. 7/10.

Just watched Predator for the first time since 2020.
Still gold.
Will watch again in '24.

9 Likes

Saw some Gerard Butler crap last night - Last Seen Alive. Donā€™t bother, absolute dogshit and felt like they gave up and forgot to film the extra 20 minutes it needed.

Completely left field for me but watched a two parter Wuthering Heights from 2009 starring Tom Hardy based simply on my wife playing Kate Bush on Friday then seeing this in the trailer:

And laughing like a drain.

Properly surprised and never picked up my phone once in 3 hours even though I kept expecting him to suddenly break in to Bane

Saw The Witch over the weekend.

Pretty much desensitised to any horror tropes but this one got me pretty good, itā€™s very different. Cinematography and music in particular were outstanding.

Might give The Lighthouse a go tonight.

2 Likes