Film Thread

It was a great watch and so many nods to other sci fi films. Aliens , superman , Akira and blade runner off the top of my head .
Certainly good to see a more original content film in the last year.

1 Like

I think so, felt like Saltburn definitely took some themes and ideas from Beau Travail (identity, obsession, desire,focus on male beauty)

Itā€™s a bit of a grey area for sure, probably also down to how much I like the piece of media doing the homage/rip off in the first place haha

The Beau Travail ending is just so iconic and so unique I think it is beyond any sort of homage/rip off and just feels lazy

You are making me want to watch it Haven. And itā€™s the kind of thing I think I would hate.
I have couple of weeks of free evenings so might just waste one on it.

1 Like

Ha if you interested go for it, I think Iā€™m giving it too much credit by evening honouring it with a Beau Travail comparison.

Itā€™s a shit, try hard, pretentious waste of time

1 Like

yeah, I kinda want to have the same vitriol about it you have to be honest.
Be interesting to see where my opinion lies as itā€™s polarised this little echo chamber we have.

1 Like

Keep us posted when you watch it!

I didnt feel like it had any deep underlying themes that it was reaching for, just a bit of fun, a daft laugh and that.

1 Like

Yeah, same. Sometimes Iā€™m down for a couple of hours of mindless entertainment. I enjoyed it for what it is.

1 Like

Yeah I love some mindless entertainment too. This felt like it was trying to be more than that personally therefore am judging it as such

Wouldnā€™t criticise the new Jason Statham film in the same way

Yeah the director is from an insanely privileged background thereā€™s no way she made this film as mindless entertainment. Sheā€™s trying sooooo hard to be taken seriously as a director.

Itā€™s sad because all the cheap shock moments and attractive cast members have generated such a mainstream viewer buzz on social media sheā€™ll keep getting projects green lit. The critical response has been tepid at best

1 Like

Yeah public schoolkids dominating just like with everything else and as per the plan.

2 Likes

Sounds well Bullingdon.

I have not seen a single clip or even seen an image, actors etc, no info apart what I have read here.

Really? Even the normies in the office are talking about it.
Sueā€™s Clive said ā€˜it wasnā€™t for himā€™ and bailed halfway through.

1 Like

Interested to see what Poor things is all about as me and the Mrs have decided to try soundtrack Dogtooth in the next couple of Months as the next project. One of my favourite films.

1 Like

Anatomy of a fall is worth a watch.
French court must be pretty relaxed though. The woman on trial was in jeans at one point.

1 Like

Just finished watching the new Indiana Jones film, and Iā€™m surprised to say this given the divisive reviews it got and the low expectations after Crystal Skull, but I really enjoyed it.

Ok, itā€™s 30 mins too long. But, it ticks all the right boxes - people get punched in the face, nazis get killed, thereā€™s some fun, nostalgic cameos, and the score is amazing. Plus Phoebe Waller-Bridge is way less annoying in this than she could have been.

Raiders and Last Crusade are two of my favourite films, so Iā€™m really glad this ended solidly.

3 Likes

I watched the new one in early december and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it.

I then watched the whole series with my daughter over the past 6 weeks as she really enjoyed watching Raiders with me.
Crystal Skull was awful the first time I saw it, but in rewatching recentlyā€¦itā€™s only ā€œkinda awfulā€.
Still the worst in the series by a long shot.
Second viewing of the new film was fun again. Didnā€™t feel overly longā€¦

This film intrigues me:

and the poster is amazing:

5 Likes