Financial/Investments thread

Why do you want to exchange to USD first?

I think it’s because of the exchange rates. Think it works out better to buy in USD. Someone else said to be careful of buying because of it but didn’t ask why.

If you’re buying a small amount just see if any friends who have it can sell it to you to avoid fees and rates.

I’m no crypto expert but have a little bit of bitcoin. Make sure you use ‘coinbase pro’ instead of ‘coinbase’. You’ll already be registered through the standard site but fees are loads lower, and it’s easier, and more straightforward to use.

Yes just starting to use Pro. Def not easier or more straightforward lol but worth it for the fee reductions. @Spanky it’s because most coins don’t have GBP exchanges so you have to buy in dollars or bitcoin. Would rather dollars as it’s more stable so I don’t potentially lose money while waiting for a trade to happen.

2 Likes

Tax related question for anyone who can help as the HMRC are closed at the weekends.

Got a letter this morning saying I’m going on a K tax code (k18379) they don’t explain it very well saying I have untaxed income from a tv company in 2019 . Which is bollocks as I was getting taxed pretty fucking well PAYE And wasn’t an issue for my tax return for that period.

This is the 4th tax code adjustment since April . I don’t know what the fuck is going on so if anyone here is savvy with this and let me know it would put my mind at rest this long weekend.

Cheers

Call them and they should fix it.

I got put on a K tax code by mistake because they estimated my salary based off the month I got a bonus.

They’re surprisingly helpful just tell them your salary and they’ll change it.

Anyone here a first time house buyer in their 40’s buying yourself? No partner/Wife etc.

Had a bit of an ultimatum inevitably happen this evening regarding the house I’m in.

My ex owns it , i have a percentage but pay rent and she wants to sell it before April for tax reasons.
She lives in America and paying £4K a year in taxes for the house and is done with it and that’s fair enough.

So I’m getting first refusal but have a feeling it’s gonna be out of my reach so checking my options and seeing if anyone here has done similar?

Any info/advice would be great as my head is racing right now.

I spoke to my family who’re putting me in contact with their financial advisor and got them their mortgage deals so that’s good. Just need to settle my nerves at the mo.

Depends on how much the other percentage is, and what deposit you have/income multipliers. We’ve just bought our first house using my income only despite my wife being self employed. She didn’t have enough tax returns to help. We bought using a 5% deposit arguably it’s in the North where housing is cheaper. I’d speak to a mortgage broker, try a few. The first we used wasn’t that good at all, then we swapped and she’s been fab. There’s too many variables regarding mortgages and financal situations.

I’m 44 in September, Even tho I’m freelance i’m always paye so no problem showing payslips. I lived on my own covering £1400 in rent /tax and bills every month for 4 years .
Luckily I have a housemate now and saved £700 a month since last year .

The house is valued around £360k I reckon I can can put 10% down by jan/feb and hopefully earn the stamp duty/fees by April with help from the family.

Just sort of kicking myself doing the “what ifs” and should I have bought/saved for it earlier, but I was also supposed to be married to her and in America with her by now . But it’s a stupid head game to play.

Yeah , proper skin of my teeth decision,

I was supposed to go traveling this year but covid has Fucked that and for the next year too, so probably meant to be for me and better sticking that money into the house I gutted and rebuilt myself to be 100% mine.

3 Likes

I’ve got a couple of mortgage broker numbers if you want them…

I thought my guy was pretty good (used him on my last couple of buys) but I also have a contact for my mate’s as he got them a really good deal.

1 Like

Thanks man. I’ll defo keep your guys in mind once I’ve kick started it all and see where I get :+1:t2:

I got a broker who’s a fucking magician, let me know if you want his deets and I’ll do an intro, he’s sound

2 Likes

Is this in Greater London…?

Agree that a good broker is the first thing you need. I’ve got a guy I use every time and it’s a massive stress taken care of. I wouldn’t do anything other than a fixed rate for two/three years just now. Jump between lenders for the best deal.

2 Likes

Yes it’s in watford. It’s horribly convenient for everything especially the film and tv industry so want to stay put for now .

And yeah I’ll be looking for a fixed rate so my housemate stays and pays half .

1 Like

Some kid in my stories talking about how good his signals are. What the fuck is that? Tips on Bitcoin investments? From a 15 year old?

I looked it up and I’m none the wiser. I’m all for it though. I think.

If Tories slash police budget, invest in G4S, stuff like that? Lovely system isn’t it

the homie lukas from kettering who now lives in vilnius has a telegram channel with thousands of people subscribed to it for ‘forex signals’, from what i understand people post what trades they’re going to make and people copy them? goes completely over my head like

1 Like

this is great advice by the way and if i had more money i’d put more in here

cheers @Snurp

1 Like