Football Thread

Phil Neville kind of let slip after the Cameroon game that there is a blanket ban on anything negative being said about the women’s tournament (media, players, managers, officials, etc), from those up above. So if a player is having a crap game, you have to put a positive spin on it. Brush over any blips and such.
Knowing that now and listening to the commentary during the game and the match analysis at half and full time, is hilarious.

I have noticed about size, the pitch seems to dwarf the ladies, it looks like half a team at times, there is so much space. I’m surprised by how much ‘just boot it and hope’, there is too.
With the pitch seeming so big, there are always massive holes to be exploited and harder for defenders to mop up. Which really does make it anyones game too win for the lesser teams playing each other.

Had this conversation a few times. Really hard to tell

I think the US women’s team could equal the US men’s team for skill. i know you’ve said size/physicality not an issue but it’s the biggest factor. otherwise i think a lot of the womens champions league teams could be around about lower championship level, they play better football

That makes sense, I have definitely noticed more of a nicey nicey feel to the coverage. Did you see the footage of them celebrating the goals at Glastonbury? It’s definitely got more of a family friendly appeal to it. But at the same time it’s probably because you don’t have any hooligans kicking off because they’ve had 5 pints and their accas not coming in.

I guess it’s to try and dispel the image of football to young girls to encourage more participation at grass roots level which can only be a good thing.

1 Like

i was reading about this the other day. there’s other sports where the field of play is reduced in size for the women’s game. the problem is places being able to accommodate that at grassroots levels. having to have two sizes of pitch and goal would create another big barrier for women’s football being picked up on a larger scale

1 Like

Klopps cameo in this had me in stitches.

That new Rashford contract is insane!

If they can off load Alexis Sánchez, Rashford will just be getting his wages instead. Easy, job done. Haha

Say Pogba and Lukaku go it’s a wise investment to keep him there, with the club in the mess it is at the moment. They’ve got no CL too interest big players. They don’t want to sell home grown talent too, sends out a bad singal. It’s always better to keep good British players as well, they won’t moan about the weather or the culture, get home sick and have to settle in.

To me it’s yet another bizarre move among a collection of crazy financial decisions. How will they be able to offload any of them, they’re all on silly wages!

Don’t think man United fans have much to look forward to this year. Ole was a mistake. Best bet would probably be off loading half their squad and rebuilding

Yep, jumped the gun with Ole. Should have got Mauricio Pochettino straight away. Can’t see him leaving Spurs right now.

Every fan would LOVE for a club legend to come back and manage, fairy tail story. It won’t ever work out though, look at Dalglish

Looks like Chelsea are in for a bumpy three years then. Frank Lampard has agreed a deal to manage them.

It’s exactly the same story isn’t it. I have Chelsea family and they’re so happy. It’s going to end in tears, this is literally his second year in management for fucks sake

1 Like

Seems like the natural step up from Derby…

Any predictions on the semi?
Heath is a nuisance for the US.
I can see it being…interesting.

Do you think Rapinoe has been left out of the USA starting 11 because of her ‘You can’t win without gay players’ comments and not singing national anthem?

Trump executive order?

That was never a penalty. But if it was, why the fuck let Houghton take it

That was my thought.
As much as England did foul a US player moments before.
The wheels have come off.

We really really fell apart in the last twenty or so which is a shame. Oh well