Football Thread

VERY stoked for Denmark but would have much preferred to play Russia in the next round haha

1 Like

Faelledparken will be rocking tonight!

Tonight’s results mean England are through to the last 16.

1 goal. 3 shots on target. Lol.

2 Likes

I know this is bah humbug but I’m always happiest when we exit and let the good teams get on with playing. Does anyone honestly think we should win? Compared to Italy, Belgium, etc? National pride is fine but objectively we’re just a bit shit.

The last time we were seriously robbed was Lampard v Germany in 2010 when we should have equalised.

We’ve turned into Newcastle* as a national team, convinced we matter when we really don’t just because we’re popular.

*Not picking on Newcastle but you know what I mean

2 Likes

We must be it’s not like any English players made to this years Europa and Champions League finals is it!? That is for only the best in Europe too. Oh wait.

So some teams are more entitled to win than others, and the others should just step aside? Hmmm…

C’mon man. Less than a quarter of the two teams in champs final were English

And 4 of 22 Europa league final starting 11 were English.

Well, when they play better than we do, yeah

2 Likes

So you’re not going to include all the team members that also played a part getting to the final as well, like in any tournament?

Just give it to the favourites and no-one has to bother showing up in that case. Job done.

1 Like

Your first point was that the England team must be good at football since three of the four teams in the two big European finals this year were English. I just pointed out that only 9 of 44 players in those teams were actually eligible for the England squad.

Your second point seems to be that the best teams shouldn’t win?

Not sure where you’re going with this but it seems to be a sore point for you so happy to drop it. England are just not good enough for me to get that worked up about it to be honest.

I’m just killing time while a baby screams at me in the early hours.

I don’t hate my country or the team, I’ve just spent so much of the last 25 years getting let down that I don’t care any more. Maybe it’s just antipathy? Cool that you’re still into it though. They need the support.

1 Like

Loads of great teams have been undone by a lesser team in a tournament that’s what makes them great and fun (unless it’s your team of course)!

I have England in the forum sweepstake, so they are staying in, alright (plus I’m an England fan)?! Haha…

1 Like

Good luck in the sweepstake. It’s been a good tournament so far, nice and open. I’m just not about to cut out my Crusader mask from The Sun or put the George cross up the flagpole tomorrow, that’s all.

C’mon England.

1 Like

It’s an absolute joke and uefa are obviously making it up as they go.

2 Likes

Apparently it’s because they embraced after the game.

Yeah, I know. And right now other teams have won more games and by more goals hence why I don’t think England are the best?

Dunno how many other ways to explain it :man_shrugging:

Yes, I did. I think they’ll get to the final but not convinced it’s a done deal. Either Netherlands or Italy would give them problems, like Germany did even playing poorly.

Scored more points? Same as Denmark in 92. I just don’t see England doing that this time.
When we talk Brexit on here everyone is quick to pick up on blind illogical nationalism but when it’s footy it’s different? Big red bus saying “It’s Coming Home” anyone?

4 Likes

Ok you win, England will definitely win it.
This is the kind of pub conversation that put me off in the first place.

Personally I don’t expect England to win the thing, I’d just like a few performances I can get behind where we perhaps showcase the attacking talent we have. We all saw the second half v Croatia and the Scotland game; the passing was abysmal.

1 Like

The echo chamber in full effect here again. England will WIN….Win……win……

Who said I was a football manager? Well, well, you’d be a rubbish errr…you’d be a rubbish…err thing. Chill out Mick.

Thank fuck. A bit of balance.