Football Thread

Hmm, do City really want to buy Phillips? :grimacing:

Really impressed in the games against Benfica earlier this year, hopefully heā€™ll live up to the hype.

Does the Nunez signing mean Mane is definitely gone?

Deary me, Phillips looks drunk out there!

Iā€™m a supporter of Southgate and his methods in general, but this run in the Nations League has been the worst since Steve McLarenā€™s side failed to qualify for the Euros, and this particular game is probably the worst England result Iā€™ve ever seen. And then to take off an attacker and put Maguire on when youā€™re already 3-0 down. Whatā€™s the point? At least go for a goal to restore a bit of dignity.

1 Like

This just shouldnā€™t happen in any game. Ever.

2 Likes

Our defence is sorely lacking. Its not like there arenā€™t any other English defenders around. Perhaps time to try some of the others and forget Maguire/Stones. Perhaps Coady and White? Or anyone else and anyone else?

Iā€™m sure weā€™ll hear tomorrow about how tired they all are from the long gruelling season etc etc

To be fair, in the Euros he was fantastic. Heā€™s not had a bad game in an England shirt until this run; same with Kalvin Phillips, he was dreadful tonight, and really has been all season.

Once LFC get about ā‚¬45-50m from Bayern, then that would seem so. They didnā€™t want to let him go until Nunez was confirmed.

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a ridiculous bargain, or a true reflection of his value thatā€™s dwarfed by the insanely inflated sums thatā€™ve been chucked around for fun the last few years.

Bit of both Iā€™d say!

Considering heā€™s 30 and players seem to go forever nowadays Iā€™d say its a bargain

1 Like

Just throwing it out there. I didnā€™t watch the England game but ā€¦ surely most of these lot have played 50+ games this season, maybe they are fucked and donā€™t give a shit?

2 Likes

Worst game of football I have ever been to - and I have seen some shit Villa performances in my time!

However, had some beers in the sun with @Brewer and friends which was a laugh.

2 Likes

Yeah, but youā€™re still representing your country. Everyone else is tired too. Didnā€™t stop Germany winning 5-2 against Italy!

Also, I learned this morning that the Nations League affects your world ranking/seeding for the Euros. Euro 2024 draw is in October and weā€™re 14th - top 10 are seeded.

2 more games to go before World Cup - Italy and Germany!

1 Like

Most players would fake a minor injury if theyā€™re not feeling it, before the squad is named and itā€™s not unreasonable to be given time off to rest too. You have to put it more down to Southgateā€™s tactics and team selections. The likes of Maguire have had the poorest season of their lives, he shouldnā€™t be first choice right now for a start, or maybe even in the team full stop.

2 Likes

Had a great night but the football was woeful. I donā€™t understand the mentality of bringing a defender on when weā€™re 3-0 down with 10 men.

Gunna head to this if anyone fancies it.

Newcastle have signed Pope from Burnley. Heā€™s a great keeper and I reckon heā€™ll replace Pickford eventually. Happy memories of him at York a few years ago. It was like having Buffon in goal at our level.

2 Likes

Yer solid signing will push MD hard.