Football Thread

Every so often but haven’t gone since the takeover. I never used to like the vibe at any footy games and felt slightly intimidated so never really got into going to matches. Tend to watch in the pub or at home!

My guy is on flames after Grealish drunkenly violated him!

1 Like

Caught the second half of Man Reds and they look good under ETH.

Just went to first blades game since 2019. It was genuinely embarrassing from both teams, some of the worst hoofing shite I’ve seen

Had a good time at least :rofl:

We’re going down with Wolves and Forrest :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Aaand he’s gone. Good riddance!

There goes his chance of the Liverpool job in the next decade or so

Gerrard and Truss on the same day? Fantastic Thursday

1 Like

TLDR - we’re fucked!

It’s so funny that people were saying Gerrard was using Villa as a “stepping stone” to the Liverpool job when he joined us!

Great player, shit manager.

Alienated the fans and the players, changed formation every week, I can’t name a single player who has improved under him, didn’t take training sessions, according to Martinez in a podcast he didn’t even talk to the team - that was all handled by Beale who left to manage QPR and now they’re top of the Championship.

Apart from being a big name to attract better players than Smith could, I don’t know what he was doing.

I’m v.worried because clearly we’re in a relegation battle this season and I don’t think any of the players have the minerals to survive it.

Message from the club pre-season was that we were pushing not just for top half, but challenging for Europe. Now it’s a case of survival at all costs.

Oh and we’re meant to be redeveloping Villa Park to the tune of £100M (for Phase 1!) to increase capacity and to be eligible to host Euro/World Cup games. Might want to put a hold on that!

2 Likes

I don’t obviously follow Villa as closely, your squad seems pretty decent.

We’ve got the best squad we’ve had in years. (along with the highest wage bill we’ve had in years!) But there is no identity/philosophy/plan at all!

Fulham tore us to shreds last night because they had a clear game plan. We didn’t at all. That’s down to Stevie G.

I think that’s a bit OTT, he did very well at Rangers and Villa is not an easy job at all.

lol what? He won the Scottish Prem once in 3 seasons and didn’t win a single cup competition - in a 2 horse race league!

1 Like

hang on. when Gerrard was at Rangers he had Michael Beale as his head coach. Beale was heavily written about as being some kind of tactical genius and the powerhouse behind Gerrard’s success. I was really excited to see how this all worked when they came to Villa - only it didn’t happen. Beale quit and took the job as manager of QPR (who seem to be doing fairly well and play nice football)

Gerrard has been utterly lost without Beale and Villa have no identity

This! Emi Martinez talks about this on Ben Foster’s Podcast. He says that Gerrard barely talks to the team and Beale is in charge of everything - training, tactics, meetings etc

^ Martinez on Gerrard / Beale

1 Like

Winning a title is a good thing I’d say. I’m not saying he’s a great manager, just that shit is going too far in the other direction.

Can only echo Tom’s post but about Wolves. Same problem really. On paper the greatest squad I have seen in my lifetime, but no real plan. Bit of bad luck too but that can’t be an excuse in this league, and we couldn’t prise Beale to come to us from QPR either.

Midlands football is in the mud.

Nuno leaving was a fuck up.

1 Like

from Imgflip Meme Generator

4 Likes

Not the whole Midlands.

My boys are top of the league.

National League, yeah, but I’ll take it…

2 Likes