Football Thread

Those ones are the most fun. As long as you’re not wasting cash you can’t afford it’s a laugh making long bets that can actually happen

1 Like

I know I was messing around because he knows I used to work as a bookie and these bets are what makes all the money.

2 Likes

What bets should we make?

Won £25 on Spurs, Villa at the weekend. The only bet I constantly make and win is over 41 checkout in the Darts.

The only way you can win long term is if you find bets where the bookies have got the odds wrong.

There are correct odds for things and if you know your shit you can spot bets are incorrectly priced in your favour.

It doesn’t matter what you bet on really.

2 Likes

I kinda feel that it’s almost impossible to make money properly off betting. Not without it being an almost full time job

I have fun making weird and intricet bets and watching them fail because of arsenal

Only chucked £2 on it so not stressing too hard ha.

Looking back at the clip, I don’t understand how a fully trained ref watching the game on the pitch and through VAR didn’t think Maguire should be sent off. It doesn’t help the corruption debate at all.

1 Like

Chelsea should give Giroud more game time rather than throwing him on when they’re desperate.

1 Like

I was hoping Villa would sign Giroud when we came up. Criminally underrated striker for mid table Premier league (obviously not world class mind)

Hmm, I’m really not sure about that. I wouldn’t say he’s C.Ron or Messi level in any way but he has scored some exceptional goals and in big matches. His goal return is world class at the very least.

Fair enough, I don’t think he’d be starting matches for a champions league team was my point. Whereas he’d be first choice for a europa team or below

I guess the VR saw that Maguire was sliding away from Batshuayi than going in for a tackle. He put his foot up to protect himself and stop Batshuayi clattering in to him. There did seem to be a bit of an extra poke that didn’t need to happen mind. So it wasn’t a premeditated act. Is all I can think of?
As for Chelsea’s second goal being disallowed, that’s where VR is getting stupid. Players being one or two centimetres offside by a chin, haha.

Pffft nah that’s some bullshit. He lashed out because he got pushed over. Offside is offside but if it takes super slo mo forensics to prove they’re offside by a beard then it’s not worth it

1 Like

Nazroreth you’re right it’s a full time job to beat the bookies.

Let’s say Man Utd have played Liverpool at home 30 times in the last 10 years. If you put all those results into a spreadsheet you can work out the % chance of the scoring 1 goal, 2 goals, 3 goals etc. Now if the odds of them scoring 1 goal are higher than the % chance of it happening you should bet that outcome because the bookies have it wrong.

Now do this with every team/fixture and create a simulator where it compares the real correct odds vs the bookie and you have a winning system.

This takes time, money, brains.

Also when you win consistently the bookie will stop you getting more than £1.

It’s basically impossible.

1 Like

Don’t quote those numbers I’m just trying to explain how it might work and what professionals do.

There’s a million methods but the main problem is being able to actually bet. A losing betting account is worth loads to professionals until it dies.

1 Like

Nah this is where VAR is perfect. Offside is offside. It doesn’t matter by how much or how little a player is offside.

But no one in the ground sees it. That’s half the issue people are having - it kills the fun of the game. Your team scores a goal, minutes go by, VAR says offside. Joy sucked out

‘Lukas Brud has insisted the use of the Video Assistant Referee should be reserved for ‘clear and obvious’ errors and not numerous replays for marginal decisions’

But if you’re offside then you’re offside?

Surely it doesn’t matter by how much :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah but it should be down the lines person, or get rid of them and just use VAR for every goal. Is it clear daylight, is it this, is it that? Offside to me is if there is clear daylight between players, not a gust of wind blowing your slightly longer hair, than your opponents out of place as an advantage!?

1 Like

Well I hope that is the last we’ll hear of people moaning about VAR in here then. It’s great!