In the news thread

I agree with everything in your post Voodoo and I like the fact that you took the time to write it but for FUCKS SAKE

6 Likes

Hahaha.

1 Like

To me that is very odd as well, you’d think some kind of life would’ve been found somewhere miles and miles away, not even talking about a xenomorph either, as far as I’m aware all that’s been discovered are just planets that could potentially support life, is that right?

If they all do get shot at least the Flat Earth theory will end.

1 Like

Yeah, but given the vast distances involved and the limits of our technology that’s not really surprising. It’s not like you can just build a really big telescope and see the little green fellers pottering around on Alpha Centauri or whatever (yes, I know Alpha Centauri is a star system not a planet).

I can’t remember who it was, but I heard someone explain it like this:

The chances of us being alone in the universe are tiny, simply because it’s so big. But the chances of us finding other life - or it finding us - with what we currently understand and with our current technology are minuscule for exactly the same reason. There are around 100 billion stars in the Milky Way, and around 10 billion observable galaxies (that bit’s important; that’s as far as we can see, there could be infinitely more beyond that horizon - or a nice restaurant). That’s roughly the same amount as every single grain of sand on every beach on earth.

But the other important thing is that we’ve not been around for very long at all. The universe is reckoned to be about 13.8 billion years old, with the Milky Way being a relatively early developer at 13.5 million years. Humans have been around maybe 200,000 years, and we’ve been venturing into space since 1961. That means that if the universe is a day old we’ve been around for about 4 seconds, and going into space for a fraction of a second.

So, taking all those factors, looking for life in space is like searching for a single grain of sand somewhere on the earth that only exists for a split second.

Also, if the Milky Way is such an early galaxy, it could be that actually Earth is one of the first planets to have life develop to the stage we’re currently at, with lots of other galaxies playing catchup.

I reckon in another 100,000 years or so if we haven’t wiped ourselves out we’ll have a much better idea what’s going on out there.

4 Likes

Pretty simple, it’s like trying to find that oasis when you’re lost in the Sahara without a map. Same deal. Equally, we could be easily lacking the technology to both communicate with and find ETs. The closest star, Proxima Centauri, is 400 trillion km/4.25 light years away. It would take us a few thousand years to get there with our current tech, so yeah, space exploration is difficult.

absolutely mental people still believe in religion given what we now know about the size of the known universe tbh

1 Like

You could argue it’s mental that they don’t. That’s the ontological argument.

2 Likes

Good way of putting it, I’ve also just found this which was pretty helpful:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/03/extraterrestrial-life-probably-exists-how-do-we-search-for-aliens/

In other news…

Bookmarked for later!

1 Like

The end of the world with Josh Clark is a really good podcast that covers a few of these issues. Episode 1 and 2 cover theories on why we are possibly alone or at least seem to be so far

1 Like

Best smuggling story I heard, the guy put a small brick in a cigarette packet, went through customs with it casually in his hand along with a couple of loose cigs. Offered the guard a cig, had one himself, walked through.

That is absolutely ridiculous, there was even a warning sign!

I’m sorry, but with that hat, he deserved it.

3 Likes

Same thing happened on an Exeter bound train recently.

Right all this anti-seminism within the Labour party (apparently) - has anyone given one example of how it manifests itself? Like what exactly are we talking about here? F*cked if I know

Never understood any of that.

Woah - red card!!
:grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

The big ones would be:

-Ken Livingston making remarks about the ‘Israel lobby’ and stating that Hitler would be a zionist.
-MP Naz Shah tweeted about how Israel should be located to the US.
-Row about what definition of antisemitism the party should adopt - it eventually adopted the full one advocated by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance.
-Corbyn had previously liked some weird, anti-semitic graffiti on Facebook which was uncovered by some journalists scouring his social media history.
-The party let Derek Hatton back in and then had to promptly suspend him for an antisemitic tweet he put out in 2012.
-MP Chris Williamson said Labour was being too apologetic over antisemitism.

So the row is really about what constitutes legitimate criticism of Israel. Too often the radical left seems to criticise Israel on the grounds that it operates differently, in some more nefarious manner than other states which harks back to the antisemitic ideas of Jewish people being involved in some global conspiracy. Additionally, their criticism of Israel spills over and they ask all Jewish people to speak out against the country and its actions, holding Jewish people collectively responsible for a country they might have only a tenuous link to.