In the news thread

I have only been to Paris once and I was immediately struck by the size and presence of Notre-Dame.
Incredible building.
It does make me wonder what the reaction will be to the obvious expense put into its restoration by the people who have been making their voices very clear over the last few weeks about where tax money goes.

I agree with them, it was a pretty building but imagine how many children you could feed or wells you could build with all that money they’re gonna get. Whole problem I have with the Catholic church really. All this talk about charity and helping your fellow human, but no, their massive fuck off buildings need more gold leaf.

2 Likes

One guy has reportedly already donated 117 million dollars to its restoration.

I haven’t read this but I can only imagine ‘the Manchester of Finland’ is a small village in a forest where everybody listens to Northside, wears boot-cut cords and parkas and walks around saying “wind yer neck in” and “mad for it”

Innit. I wonder how many acres of forest could be planted or protected with that much money. Mehhh

I’m struggling to understand how people with considerable wealth can decide to drop that amount of money over night, not having time to give it considerable thought.

While there are more pressing issues happening in the world.

Presumably there some sort of insurance in place for the building?

Maybe these people to make large donations to other causes but don’t get put on a pedestal for doing so? Or maybe not.

It’s basically privately owned by the Catholic church who aren’t short of a bob or 2

Agree with all of the above that it is a stupid amount of money but at the same time the amount in generates for people from various walks of life indirectly through tourism is probably pretty crazy.

It is owned by the government, the Catholic church gets exclusive use and has to pay for general upkeep, staff wages etc.

Not sure where fire damage falls exactly

I’m guessing the company that was doing work on it will be shitting themselves right now.

BBC News - Ukraine election: Comedian Zelensky ‘wins presidency by landslide’

Wow

That has to be a signal that we’re in the Matrix and the simulation is about to come to an end. Absolutely insane stuff. Being the president whilst also playing a fictional president in a comedy? Batty.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/24/ann-widdecombe-stands-for-nigel-farage-brexit-party-in-european-elections

British politics only gets weirder.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/chris-packham-petition-why-there-are-calls-for-the-bbc-to-sack-presenter-over-general-licence-campaign/ar-BBWh4w2?ocid=spartanntp

I guess by the same logic, David Attenborough should be banned from talking about climate change, conservation ect…

John Bolton sharing his and America’s views about Venezuela on the news right now.
Apparently it’s not a coup to overthrow Maduro because he’s not the recognised leader of that country anymore.
That and Maduro has protected himself with Cuban motorcycle gangs, not the Venezuelan military.
Hmmm.
America’s rinse and repeat of interfering again.
This is completely of their making right down through to imposing Guaido on the country.

1 Like

So gutted I’m not in UK for that De La/PE/Wu tour that’s mentioned, that would be so sick

The Independent: Man beat Isis terrorists on London Bridge with his skateboard while being stabbed to death, court hears.

2 Likes

So easy to say you’d do the same in his position but fuck me, that’s proper hero material.

4 Likes